First Time DIY Unit 82 Colorado

jbourn

Hey Everyone,

I'm going on my first hunt out west (moved to Denver in October) during muzzleloader season for elk and bear. I've done a little scouting so far, planning on going up every weekend between now and then. Anyone have any tips for this unit? Seems like the elk are going to be high (around 11,000) during this time so I'm assuming I should stick to the high altitude lakes and tree lines. Anything helps!

Thanks,

Justin

I hunted that unit last year for first rifle and everyone is going to tell you the same thing: It is steep. I came out there from Georgia and underestimated it, even though I knew it would be the steepest place I had ever hunted. I literally could not get up into the drainages that I had picked out on Google Earth. With you already being out there you have an advantage, as I did not get any time to preseason scout. I saw one nice bull before dark on a very steep slope that I would not have been able to get him out of and one bear down along a creek when I was hiking in one day. They were both about 2 miles from the trail head. When I come back I will be going in deeper and staying the whole time. I suggest getting up high and staying up there if you can figure out a water source. If I lived out there I might pack in a few gallons of water to a high elevation during my scouting trips. Scaling those mountain sides every day was absolutely brutal and I know I blew everything out of there on my way in. I loved the unit and hope to be back next year. Please keep me updated on how you do.

-Herman

Hey Everyone,

I'm going on my first hunt out west (moved to Denver in October) during muzzleloader season for elk and bear. I've done a little scouting so far, planning on going up every weekend between now and then. Anyone have any tips for this unit? Seems like the elk are going to be high (around 11,000) during this time so I'm assuming I should stick to the high altitude lakes and tree lines. Anything helps!

Thanks,

Justin

They are very steep and surprisingly thick making it tough to glass. Hopefully you get a streak of luck and make it happen. Best of luck!

Back