First time bear

ThunderNocked

Well I had started to make plans to setup my first Bear Bait but decided that this wasn't the year. Low and Behold ... I ended up winning a Bear Bait kit so now I'm scrambling to get everything together and setup my first bait. I have most of what I need and just have to figure out where I'm going to head from home - I don't want to be just one of the guys who barely is doing the minimum to be legal - but with no boat or quad I'll be limited a bit.
Hoping to get lucky on a first year bait and get my first bear! Just thought I'd throw that out here. Love being in Alaska!

Fisrt rule of bear hunting: keep it fun and dont stress! You will learn so much your first year so set expectations low and just enjoy the experiance, you very well could still get one.

Tyler Freel has some excellent podcasts on interior AK bear hunting...Tundra Talk
With this cool weather at least the mosquitoes are not a major problem (yet). Have fun!
Yup, I listen and support Tyler and Tundra Talk. Love what they do - I need to start listening to the Mediocre Alaskan as well.
I want to go back and find some of their good bear episodes. I'm on episode 106 so I'm about 30 behind again.

I found a gal that had a cake business out of her house and was cleaning old stuff out of the freezer. I used that in Idaho years ago. Maybe you can get some good smelly stuff from the Pagoda!

Fisrt rule of bear hunting: keep it fun and dont stress! You will learn so much your first year so set expectations low and just enjoy the experiance, you very well could still get one.
THIS! This is what I keep reminding myself. DIdn't get a Caribou my first couple outings, didn't get a deer, didn't get a moose ... so it is all about time.
I'm just nervous because of all the rules. And I don't want to shoot a tiny bear so I won't necessarily shoot the first one that comes in but I'm excited to get out there and try some stuff.

Plan is: Sunday after Church head out to my selected area (need to make about 5 calls today to confirm). Then during the week or Saturday go back and set up the bucket of bait (Glacier Bear Products), barrel with dog food, a skinned beaver and hopefully some popcorn. The bucket has about 7 different products. It should be good. Setup the camera - then I leave Sunday for 4 days. Check it the weekend after I get back.

I found a gal that had a cake business out of her house and was cleaning old stuff out of the freezer. I used that in Idaho years ago. Maybe you can get some good smelly stuff from the Pagoda!
brilliant. there is a lady who does Cupcakes like a mile from my house out of her home. Great idea!

Bit nervous - I've called every bakery in town and there are enough bear baiters most of them are already spoken for. I have two who said they will call me back.
Finally registered and we head out Saturday - its a little late but I have enough season left. I have a few to do things before I'm ready to roll but it will all be great.

1652901529025.png

I have a bunch of other stuff - dog food, scents, a beaver carcass, beaver caster, etc. I just wanted to throw something else out there too.
But not a bad idea!
Yeah, when you're surrounded by other bear hunters the bait sources are pretty much spoken for. I saved our kitchen scraps in 5 gallon buckets for a while before I went. Let them get nice and rotten! Did the dog food and cakes, and took used cooking grease and oil to spread around for scents and for bears to track out from the bait sight to help lure more in.

We'll expect pictures!

Yeah, when you're surrounded by other bear hunters the bait sources are pretty much spoken for. I saved our kitchen scraps in 5 gallon buckets for a while before I went. Let them get nice and rotten! Did the dog food and cakes, and took used cooking grease and oil to spread around for scents and for bears to track out from the bait sight to help lure more in.

We'll expect pictures!
I just told my wife to do that!

100% will do.

Get a popcorn popper and start popping big bags full. That always worked.

Save that beaver carcass for the day you hunt. Those things drive bears nuts. Just string it high enough that the first dink doesn’t pull it off and run away with it.

Or big bag of oats (farm supply) mixed with molasses. Just test the molasses to make sure it is sweet if you are buying in bulk. Had a buddy mix with molasses and he didn’t find out until nearly end of season that they had a sour taste.

I forgot to update - I went and checked the bait. Nothing on it yet. Little surprised but talking to a few other baiters in that stretch and they are having very low numbers so far this year as well - so maybe it isn't just me.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back