Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

First Time Applicant

Mainer207

Hey guys,

This is my first time posting, as I've recently gotten back into hunting and am interested in expanding out west.

A buddy and myself are interested in heading out west for a 2020 antelope hunt in Wyoming and are beginning to come up with a strategy for how to draw, etc. I'm wondering if you guys can let me know if I'm on the right track with my strategy or if I'm way off.

First off, should we be applying as a party or as individuals? We both would like to have tags in our pockets for the trip.

We are considering applying for hard to draw units for 2019 in hopes that we do not draw but can acquire a point each. The reason for applying for the difficult units is that we do not have the time or money to head west this fall. Later this year we will purchase PP for antelope and also deer (hoping to have the option of picking up a deer tag for the same 2020 trip. Our logic is that this would give us 2 points each going into the 2020 draw and make our odds of drawing that much better.

I really appreciate any response and hope some of you long time western hunters can help some eastern newbies out!

You can only get one point per year, so don’t apply for the hard tag if you don’t have the time or money to hunt this year. Just buy your point in July and you’ll have one point in the 2020 draw.

If you absolutely can't hunt this year don't apply as you could draw the tag in the random just buy points when they go on sale after the draw. As stated above you can only get 1 point a year.

When you do apply, you should apply as a party so you both end up with the same tags. Both of you will get the tag or neither of you will.

Thanks guys. The application process definitely has a learning curve, I guess :rolleyes:.. Glad I asked!

Thanks guys. The application process definitely has a learning curve, I guess :rolleyes:.. Glad I asked!

You came to the right place to learn about draws across the west. You’ll get ‘er figured out in no time.

Reactions: LCH
Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back