Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

First semi-custom

mrjashu

Hi guys
I've only shot factory rifles up to this point. They're worked just fine but I wanted something a little more special so I got my Remington 700 blueprinted and re-barreled. I just got it back from my gunsmith and I'm super excited! I've put 15 rounds down the tube doing the standard break in. I can't wait to start doing load development.

Specs:
R700 blueprinted
Brux #4 contour barrel, fluted, 22" length, chambered in 7 RSAUM, 1:9 twist
Precision ground recoil lug
Harrells muzzle brake
Wyatt box internal mag
Bell and Carlson stock
Bipod is for photo only, I almost never use a bipod on my hunting rifles
Weight: 8.8lbs (w/o the bipod)

IMG_20200524_165528508.jpg

Great looking rifle! I like your choice in cartridge too. What bullet/weight are you hoping to use?
I'm hoping to shoot the Hornady 180 ELDM and 139 Barnes LRX. I generally like to have (at least) two loads for my hunting rifles. One is for longer shots and practice (eldm) the other is for more all around hunting with non-lead.
According to the Berger calculator 1:9 will stabilize the 180 at my altitude...we shall see. If that doesn't work out I'd probably try the 162ELDX/ELDM. Of course the 168 ABLR would be fun to try too, and I have some 160 SGK on my shelf...this could get out of hand quickly.

Nice!

I'd have probably gone with a 24" barrel, but i'm not you.

Bullet & weight planned?
I almost went 24". I do like how it handles with the 22". That combined with the short action make it really handy.
The main reason I went 22" is I'm planning on adding a suppressor and I wanted to try to strike a balance between keeping the length down and velocity up.

I almost went 24". I do like how it handles with the 22". That combined with the short action make it really handy.
The main reason I went 22" is I'm planning on adding a suppressor and I wanted to try to strike a balance between keeping the length down and velocity up.
Well, a can will help your velocities to a degree.
But will ruin the "balance" of the rifle.

Don't forget to share the range reports!

Imr7828SSC and RL26 will wake it up with 140-160s.
For sure. I have both on the shelf although I'm really reluctant to use RL 26 because it's so hard to come by. Same with H1000.
Once I get loads established I like to buy enough powder to last for the life of the barrel.

RL 23 & 25 are also candidates although H100v looks pretty good with the 160s.

Hi guys
I've only shot factory rifles up to this point. They're worked just fine but I wanted something a little more special so I got my Remington 700 blueprinted and re-barreled. I just got it back from my gunsmith and I'm super excited! I've put 15 rounds down the tube doing the standard break in. I can't wait to start doing load development.

Specs:
R700 blueprinted
Brux #4 contour barrel, fluted, 22" length, chambered in 7 RSAUM, 1:9 twist
Precision ground recoil lug
Harrells muzzle brake
Wyatt box internal mag
Bell and Carlson stock
Bipod is for photo only, I almost never use a bipod on my hunting rifles
Weight: 8.8lbs (w/o the bipod)

View attachment 141505

I have the nicest rifle I’ve ever owned on the way, a Tikka T3x Veil Wideland in 6.5 cm. Not in the custom range yet, but they have amazing reviews. You mentioned break in. What’s your strategy?

Black/gray with stainless is always a good combo. Nice looking rifle.

It's amazing how simple it is to stretch the distance beyond 300 with good components, and more importantly
with components that are put together correctly. Fit & finish seem to go a long ways.

I have the nicest rifle I’ve ever owned on the way, a Tikka T3x Veil Wideland in 6.5 cm. Not in the custom range yet, but they have amazing reviews. You mentioned break in. What’s your strategy?
Congrats, I bet you're gonna love that Tikka!

For the initial break in I just did the typical clean after every shot then shoot a couple of groups cleaning after each one. The barrel doesn't need it IMHO but most of the barrel makers recommend it for smoothing the throat. I don't know if it's really a big deal but I figured since I was fire forming brass anyway why not. I also expect the barrel to speed up a bit as it breaks in so I figure by the time I have my brass formed I'll be ready for serious load development. I am playing with seating depths on various bullets as I fire form and getting used to the rifle so it's not wasted time.

Black/gray with stainless is always a good combo. Nice looking rifle.

It's amazing how simple it is to stretch the distance beyond 300 with good components, and more importantly
with components that are put together correctly. Fit & finish seem to go a long ways.

It's true I was amazed how much smoother running the bolt is with everything trued and finished nicely.
And I'm really happy with the bead blasted finish. I would have loved to go with cerekote but man the budget was already being stretched to the limit here :)

Congrats, I bet you're gonna love that Tikka!

For the initial break in I just did the typical clean after every shot then shoot a couple of groups cleaning after each one. The barrel doesn't need it IMHO but most of the barrel makers recommend it for smoothing the throat. I don't know if it's really a big deal but I figured since I was fire forming brass anyway why not. I also expect the barrel to speed up a bit as it breaks in so I figure by the time I have my brass formed I'll be ready for serious load development. I am playing with seating depths on various bullets as I fire form and getting used to the rifle so it's not wasted time.

That’s awesome! Loads are so fun to develop. It’s amazing how complex it is and the required precision when the system is actually pretty simple. Good luck. She’ll be a tack driver!!!

For sure. I have both on the shelf although I'm really reluctant to use RL 26 because it's so hard to come by. Same with H1000.
Once I get loads established I like to buy enough powder to last for the life of the barrel.

RL 23 & 25 are also candidates although H100v looks pretty good with the 160s.

I recently bought another 8 pound jug of RL26 from Powdervalley, so I should be good for awhile. Lol

RL26 and 160 grain Partitions seated at 2.80" gets me 2960fps. The Accubonds are a touch slower, but equally accurate, at 2950fps.

H4831SC was stupid accurate, but only got me to 2660fps.

Can't wait to hear your results.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back