First rifle

NickCNC

Just purchased my first rifle (in 10 day waiting period to pickup). Im a newer hunter and been archery only up to date. Any insight as to what kind of ammo and grain I should be ideally getting. I hunt for deer and bear, the rifle is a .308 savage axis.

My Remingon 700 is in 308 and also shoots 150 gr. I prefer Barnes, for whatever reason my rifle just handles Barnes better than hornady. I’d try a few out but that could get expensive quick

My 308 loves 150g and isn’t brand specific. Mine has shot everything I have thrown at it.
Same. I shot my bear with a “Roe Deer/Javelina” round.. got two boxes when the rona hit and ammo was scarce. It did the trick!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 8
All good feedback, thanks fellas. I've also heard federal is a good economy type round that's pretty good too, can anyone confirm?

As far as the Savage goes, you will find an immediate improvement in accuracy by getting an improved trigger. Timney trigger is now on my son‘s ‘06.

(Axis II accutriger is way better than the Axis trigger).

All good feedback, thanks fellas. I've also heard federal is a good economy type round that's pretty good too, can anyone confirm?
That’s what is pictured I believe. I’ve used Winchester federal and Hornady and I don’t know that any are necessarily better. They all work and have some very minor inconsistencies

Yes sir. I know the rules and regs. Just never owned a rifle before let alone used for hunting. So the equipment aspect is as far as guns/ammo is very new.

Ive also heard mixed thoughts on sighting scope. Some say I should zero at 100yds, others say 200. What you guys think?

Ive also heard mixed thoughts on sighting scope. Some say I should zero at 100yds, others say 200. What you guys think?
All depends on hunting distances. I hunt in Colorado and expect to shoot something between 0-300. Sighting in at 200 keeps me on body cavity no matter what when aiming. If you are only hunting shorter distance I’m dark timber or something I would do 100

It depends on the scope and the provided reticles sometimes too, I’ve always sighted mine at 50 and i was within an inch at 300. Got a new vortex scope that said with larger calibers to sight at 100 and every reticle thereafter is another 100 out to 500. It’s spot on. I don’t have or use MOA BS. I don’t shoot long range

Every rifle is different. Try 4-5 different loads, grains and manufacturers and see what groups the best in your rifle. Good call on the 308 as this has been the most available and one of the cheapest options around in recent times
Copper only is going to make this a more expensive proposition however.

Mine came with a factory scope that I'll try to get dialed in. I'm not anticipating it being a glorious scope but it works for the time being until I can justify to my wife spending more $$ on upgrading the scope. (Which I'll find a way to do next year).

There is no easy answer. Your rifle may or may not like a certain bullet weight or load by brand X. 150 gr. lead free is a very good starting point and that is where I would start. Unfortunately, in Ca availability of ammo is going to prevent you from trying a lot of different weights and or brands. My first choice as others have said would be Barnes, E-tip or Federal trophy copper. I personally shoot Federal trophy copper the most because it is the most accurate in my preferred rifle. Another rifle prefers Barnes or E-tips. The cheap Winchester 150 gr. work well in a 30-06 I occasionally shoot, and it doesn't like any other factory load. You can spend way more money trying ammo than you spent on the rifle. Hopefully the first box or two you buy will be something your gun will shoot accurately. I will let others tell you about breaking in a new rifle. Some do and some don't, but you should at least read about it. For that you might buy the cheapest load you can since you do not have to shoot expensive copper at paper targets yet.

As far as sight in distance I prefer a 200 yard zero for open Sierra type hunting. In my experience the majority of my opportunities are around 200 yards and any animal less than 200 is not going to be a problem. Research the trajectory of your selected load and decide before you go hunting how far away you feel comfortable shooting a big game animal. Just an FYI, I now practice way more at 200 yards than any other distance. I used to shoot a lot more at 100.

I have a few different rifles and none of them are a 308 but I do like the 308 a lot, just never purchased one.

I'm a MPBR shooter. Max point blank range. My hunting rifles for big game are all sighted in to hit from 4" high to 4" low at max range. I'm gonna guess with a 150gr load you'll be about 3" high at 100yds then shoot at 200yds and probably around 270yd you'll be about 4" low.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back