First elk...

All these posts are making me think, I really don't know what I am doing. Took about 5 years before I killed my first elk with a rifle, missed shots on two before i got one. Took 12 years with a bow. I was selective with a bow, and passed up on cows, but it still took an honest 12 years to kill one. All public land in Montana.

Lucky this year to get out to Wyoming 4 times, the first 3 were archery hunts resulting in 2 close encounters. Last week went back with the rifle and filled my tag. Two years ago close call in Montana so 1 of 2 so far. Expect to eat a tag or two next few hunts.

I ate two tags before the stars all aligned. I have been three for three since.

Who knows "when luck meets opportunity"?

Kinda depend on how you count, got a bull and a cow my first year in CO didn’t fill either, didn’t fill a muzzy tag the next year. In MT I ate 2 cow tags because I shot bulls... so 5 out of 7 seasons got elk, but ate 5 out of 10 tags.

2 OTC tags then on my 3rd year of elk hunting I drew a premium tag. That made it easier lol. Although I punched my OTC elk tag this year that was a first. Punched my first otc elk tag on my third year

Ate my first tag, 2nd rifle OTC CO. Then punched my 2nd, 1st rifle zero point draw CO.

I can help you feel better. I am 0 for 6 with archery equipment at this point. I have hunted OTC in CO every year but one. I have only sent one arrow and I hit a branch. 1 for 7 is going to feel really good though

I've killed every legal elk I could have. 3 in 10 years. It was 5 years before I killed my first cow. I never had any mentors though...I still don't know what I'm doing and have been on a dry spell for the last two years

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gcporteous
Back