First elk hunt

TwistedSage

This was my first elk hunt. A hell of a hunt it was. Hunted a wilderness area that was a stand alone volcanic mountain, no named trails. Camped at the bottom of the mountain stand around 7500 ft elevation and hunted from there every morning.

There was however a road that pretty much wrapped around the base of the mountain a that had a caravan of road hunters glassing low canyons every morning. Only other people we saw on the mountain was a pair of hunters that made it up the mountain about 600 yards to glass the flats and a couple of horse packers that were there twice throughout the 5 day season.

Day before opener I was able to glass a bull at last light in a mid mountain meadow. Right at daylight probably a bit before as we were gearing up to hike out of camp heard 5 shots ring out from the road. Damnit. We continued with the march up the mountain tried to gather as much Intel as we could on the way up. So much damn elk scat and beds on that mountain down low but it was mostly old. Made it to about 9000 feet on the first day and saw a small group of cows a couple hundred yards below us. Lead cow locked eyes with my buddy and they were out. At least there were elk. Second day tries to hunt around the same elevation we saw the cows but could not turn anything up besides a lone track heading up with a few fresh scat piles. This was our bull. Wanted to get down before darkness as you really could only zig zag game trails.

Third day we had to run to town and get some duct tape as the zipper failed on the tent it was a long night. Took it easy and hunted down low and tried to glass a few canyons somewhat close to camp.

Fourth day we went to the top to find that bull. As we started around the first bend we saw the horse packers a quarter mile ahead and about to start gaining some elevation. We continued on up to the first clearing where we met the horse packers and were greeted with... what do you guys walk up mountains every day. We talked and took a break with the packers who were shocked at how fast we made it. Learned they were the ones who shot that opening morning. Glassed from the road blasted jumped the bull then went to get horses. They never did recover that bull. I did see a few differe t small blood trails over the hunt down low and high. I saw blood above 10000 ft he got shot at the bottom of the mountain who knows how many time than ran 25000 feet to the top and made his way around.

We talked about were we were headed to avoid each other. We were both going to the top and kind just joked ok well see you there. All of the fresh sign was at the top.

Checked 2 meadows before heading to the third that we have had our eyes on the while time. It was perfect the meadow was maybe 30 yards wide 100 yards long going east to west. Steady east wind in our face we approached from the west edge I and the top and my buddy the shooter at the bottom. I saw a bull walking the far edge north to south and signaled get down hes coming. Before the bull appeared the horse packer rode in to the meadow at the northwest edges where I first spotted the bull and the bull dropped out of the meadow straight into the next drainage. Checked our last meadow the went back down.

Last day we were going straight to the tip and try to find that bull. No cigar. The last two days of the hunt were both over 7 miles and over 2500 ft elevation climbing and descending.

A couple second from possibly having a shot and I think if we had another day we could have made it happen. I think we finally had it figured out.

We did however harvest some pine nuts

I am hooked, I want back on that mountain. On the way home I looked and every slope thinking about elk. I think we would have been better served success wise just going to a mountain with higher density but after the second day it was almost a personal deal with that mountain. Plus we pretty much had the place to ourselves.
20191016_104620.jpg20191016_085859.jpg20191015_125903.jpg20191015_122504.jpg20191013_182636.jpg

my friend,,if youse had camped up there im sure a kill would be now accompanying you home
next time

my friend,,if youse had camped up there im sure a kill would be now accompanying you home
next time
I know it. Before we left it was dude what we should have done is cache some water and food a week or two ago then hike up with camp and stay for the season. A 3 mile 2500 ft climb is a hell of a way to start your morning. There is no water up there seasonal tanks and the river off the flats are the source. Next time.

when i hunt sika here i take three ltrs of water n camp up high,,dont eat or drink much and every second day i hunt the next valley n bring some more water up
i can always eat plenty when im home

I hunt a very similar area (at least in distance, elevation, and lack of water) in Wyoming. I try to pack in to the top the day before season with enough provisions to last 3 days. I’m at the age where it’s pretty hard to do that kind of a hike day in and day out.

Congrats on a great hunt! You’re definitely hooked now.

when i hunt sika here i take three ltrs of water n camp up high,,dont eat or drink much and every second day i hunt the next valley n bring some more water up
i can always eat plenty when im home
Once I was up there I'm sure id be able to conserve a bit but I pretty much figured out that it takes me two litres to get to the top and one liter to get down. Mine and my partners water intake was very different. He'd pound a bunch of water at night and maybe drink a little over a liter during the day. I need to hydrate as I loose it, the more I work the more I need, he said too much while hes working gives him a stomach ache. We were talking about it today how just bringing enough to get by for a night or two and having base and spike camp would have been the way to go.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1st BDX Scope
Back