First Elk Hunt Coming Up, Thanks for Your Help

JFish

I have been planning my first western elk hunt for a year and a half. My obsession for this adventure started after watching Meateater and seeing so many backpack hunts and hunting adventures. I started consuming content on YouTube and quickly found Randy’s videos as well. I stopped hunting about 10 years ago after loosing access. I also stopped watching hunting shows because of the commercialization and unrealistic hunt experiences. To be honest I had a disdain for the hunting industry and really hadn’t been interested in anything hunting related for a long time. It was a breath of fresh air to find shows like Fresh Tracks, where both successful and unsuccessful hunts were shown and the focus of the show was not on selling you the latest greatest widget. These shows got me back into hunting immediately. I dusted off the flintlock and went hunting the last couple days of the late season 2018. The following year I had archery equipment and hunted my first white tail bow season. It also sparked my interest in hunting out west, specifically an archery backpack elk hunt.

For the last year and a half I have been piecemealing gear together and learning how to use it. I began turning my car camping trips into car camping out of my backpack and learning how to camp, hunt and fish with much less gear. I did a backpack car camping trip during rifle deer season to test out gear and find out how cold I could comfortably sleep. I have talked ad naseum about this trip to friends, family, coworkers and have slipped it into every conversation I’ve had with strangers. (Never know when someone might have some info). I invited dozens of people and after several people flaked out I was lucky to have a good friend agree to go with me. I started to focus on fitness and dropped 25lbs. I made excel spreadsheets and weighed everything. I’ve packed, repacked and gotten rid of redundant things out of my backpack 4 times in the last week. I have obsessed and looked forward to this trip for a long time.

I have 7 days until my trip begins. Although it was circling the drain due to a covid exposure, I’m back on track after a negative test. My expectations are that I will have a great time on a brand new experience. The goal is to either hear a bugle, see an elk from a far, rip some questionable bugles of my own, and if all else fails get some pictures of great scenery. This forum has helped me immensely. I have searched, read and learned so many invaluable things that would have otherwise left me much lower on the learning curve. Thank you to all that answered my questions and to anyone that contributed info on this forum.

Hopefully I don’t get the runs.

Love your perspective and good attitude. Good luck and please let us know about your experience when you return.

My opinion is that wind is most important. Thermals down at dark, up at light. You should see grouse too. And bag yourself some of those mountain chickens.

I will update with a hunting report in a few weeks, but the next week is going to go by slow....

My opinion is that wind is most important. Thermals down at dark, up at light. You should see grouse too. And bag yourself some of those mountain chickens.

I did bring a couple “thumper” broadheads in case I see one. Do you guys gut them right away or wait until dinner? Just cook them spatchcock style? Not much experience with feathered animals.

You can pluck and get yourself basically a lean chicken that you can sear, then roast an baste in butter. Freakin awesome. Or, lay out the whole bird face up. Step on both wings at the shoulder. Pull up on the legs and you’ll get most everything useable, skinless too.

You have a Great attitude! Enjoy the hunt, in and of itself. The experience of going will just increase you desire to go again, my opinion from experience. I don't see which state your headed for, but it doesn't matter, just have fun.

Come back with a full writeup! Dead elk or not we want to hear about your experiences!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back