Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

First do all pack

Buy a cheap used pack at an REI Outlet/Garage Sale.

I hear you about money priorities with kids in the picture. That's where I am (and happy to be there) so that's why I'll second the idea of looking outside the hunting world for a pack. The difference between a used backpacking pack and a new (an to some extent a used one too) Kifary, Stone Glacier, etc. pack will pay for gas between PA and the Rockies or there about. I use an old Gregory pack that carries the weight more than adequately. It is around 7,000 cu inches but once I put the top pocket inside the main pack body and cinch it down it carries like a day pack. It's not camo and it doesn't have a load shelf but it sure is comfy and I bought it for a song at a garage sale. I don't know where in PA you are but I just saw an older Mountainsmith Frostfire pack on the Philly Craig's list for $70. More than an adequate pack. Check eaby too for "vintage" packs of the major brands (osprey, gregory, mountainsmith, dana, etc.). Point is that a hunting specific pack is great but I put it pretty far down on my list of needs. I'll buy one someday....maybe. Like neffa3 says, I'd rather hunt.

I can't argue with the advice that everyone else has thrown out, but just to give you another option I was on a budget when I started out too. I ended up buying a Slumberjack Bounty 4500 for about $130 on Camofire. They are already into newer versions of that pack, but it has done exactly what I needed it to. I will admit that I have only packed out mule deer and a load of gear for a 5 day back country hunt, and I have no other pack experience to compare it to. Just some extra food for thought. Good luck in your search.

Outdoormans Packs are great, they are a bit on the heavy side but you will be hard pressed to find a tougher pack.

I agree about buying a top shelf pack. I will tell you my first dedicated hunt pack was just a cabelas alaskan frame rig i paid $79 for new. It has been great and now stays in my truck for meatpacking. I use it in summer for training and last year even used it on a elk hunt as my backup when i busted a buckle on my kuiu. I cant tell you how many critters that thing has hauled but still going strong and actually helped me decide what i wanted in a true hunt pack. Just a different idea to give u a option. Also i dont miss driving up 220 this time of year....

Good luck,
Chris

A Cabela's Alaskan is a good way to start without killing yourself.

There is one for sale on here or Eastman's for $100 right now.

I have an external frame pack for backpacking, cheap from Craigslist. I found an internal frame Badlands 2200 daypack on Ebay for cheap as well. For pack-in hunts I put the 2200 on the packframe along w tent, sleeping bag, etc. Wear the daypack hunting, it will pack an elk quarter to camp. Then use the packframe to pack out game and camp. Less than $100 total invested in 2 packs.

I love my EXO 5500, but I also own a Kuiu Ultra 3000 that I got on a great 30% off sale a year+ ago. I know Kuiu has a bit of a bad reputation with some people, but mine worked great on a mulie this year with up to 60# loads. I don't think I'd want too much more than that on it, but the suspension on the Kuiu Icon Pro series is supposed to be much more comfortable with heavier loads than the Ultra. Right now, the Icon Pro 1850 is on sale for $297 in their outlet section. True, it's only 1850 cubic inches, but for day hunts it'd be fine. You might check them out.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back