first diy

sbrville

looking to do my first diy elk hunt. Where would you go? I have one point in WY but didn't put in for drawl. I guess im saving them. So im guessing OTC? Colorado? what would you do? bow or rifle would be fine. Leftovers? What would be my best plan at this point? just made up my mind to hunt elk this fall. where should I buy points for the future? AZ? thanks. SB

Start getting in the best shape of your life, and doing a ton of reading of old posts on multiple forums and read every article you can get ahold of. Take a LOT of notes as you read and learn. Also see youtube videos on how to get tags in different states. Of course there are tons of videos to watch of other peoples hunts. Then there's the podcast thing which I know nothing about. Just keep taking notes and learning all spring and summer while practicing your shooting. Then in August buy an OTC tag in Colorado for whatever season and weapon suits your style best. Next go hunt! You will learn more in a week than 3 months on the computer but it will all be fun. You won't get too much info thrown in your lap, but like life, that which you learn the hard way you will remember the most and appreciate the most. Happy planning!

Sept. Archery Cow tag somewhere. You won't regret it. It will give you the best chance at being in the thick of animals and having a fantastic hunt. Unless you care about antlers and score points? This is what I would do. Where really depends on how much time and money you have, logistics (backpack, basecamp trailer or tent, motel day hunts???)

Man buy points where you can. Archery is very exiting but is extremely hard to harvest. Are you trying to gain experience or fill a freezer?

If your budget allows, I would start building points. There are a few States that offer OTC Colorado and Idaho, New Mexico is a straight lottery. There is elk in all those states, but best advice is to pick an area and learn it over the next several years. When it comes time to draw a tag, you will have been learning elk/behavior the last several seasons. I couldn't imagine drawing a decent tag and it being my first ever elk hunt. With that said, you're in for an adventure!

Sept. Archery Cow tag somewhere. You won't regret it. It will give you the best chance at being in the thick of animals and having a fantastic hunt. Unless you care about antlers and score points? This is what I would do. Where really depends on how much time and money you have, logistics (backpack, basecamp trailer or tent, motel day hunts???)

This for sure. You can get a leftover cow tag and go learn an area, and be even more prepared for future seasons. Plus you might even take some meat home.

Thanks Like the idea of a cow tag to start. I would love to get a nice bull someday but I am perfectly happy shooting the first thing that comes in, my theory is someday it will be a big one and until then I get to eat elk. I also feel I may donate my first hunt or two, but it will be worth it in what I learn. I didn't get a whitetail for several years, just part of it. thanks again. SB

looking to do my first diy elk hunt. Where would you go? I have one point in WY but didn't put in for drawl. I guess im saving them. So im guessing OTC? Colorado? what would you do? bow or rifle would be fine. Leftovers? What would be my best plan at this point? just made up my mind to hunt elk this fall. where should I buy points for the future? AZ? thanks. SB
Are you up for hunting Idaho? I need a archery hinting buddy and know the area!

Looking to do the same in 2022 or 2023 2nd season rifle. Im headed out with a guide next year for an archery elk so I can try and get an idea on what all I need to take and be prepared for. Im totally lost on what to do. haha. I only hunt whitetails and eastern gobblers in WV and OH and looking for that backcountry elk hunt before I get too old. Let me know how your trip panned out. Im looking for some comments from some new DIY guys. Good luck!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back