First confirmed deadly cougar attack in Oregon.

See tracks every Deer an Elk season in Az. 45yrs In the woods have never seen one,They sure see me.Tracks over my tracks every year.matter of time and i'm lunch...or Him/Her.:cool:

Sad news , I’m always packing now when I go out in the coast range scouting because of cougars , my friend John and I hav gotten pics of 2 cougars now on our trail cams in 2 different areas where we hunt in the last calendar year . this is the second cougar killing of a person in the Pacific Nw this summer, a few months back a cougar attacked 2 guys mountain biking in Washington State , killed one and wounded the other before he was able to escape. Hopefully at some point , the non hunting population of this state will begin to realize that we need dogs to successfully hunt cougars again in Oregon and will be put back on the ballot , I wonder how many people hav to die before it gets people’s attention to the exploding cougar population in Oregon.

Last edited:
We are not the top of the food chain so sharks can attack in the sea and 4-legged predators can attack on land. I fear 2-legged ones more, though, since they wander around town more and are more efficient for killing than the wild ones.

Sad news , I’m always packing now when I go out in the coast range scouting because of cougars , my friend John and I hav gotten pics of 2 cougars now on our trail cams in 2 different areas where we hunt in the last calendar year . this is the second cougar killing of a person in the Pacific Nw this summer, a few months back a cougar attacked 2 guys mountain biking in Washington State , killed one and wounded the other before he was able to escape. Hopefully at some point , the non hunting population of this state will begin to realize that we need dogs to successfully hunt cougars again in Oregon and will be put back on the ballot , I wonder how many people hav to die before it gets people’s attention to the exploding cougar population in Oregon.

What do you pack for cougars? I've been looking over options and haven't quite decided. I want it to be super small/light so I will carry it but also be enough for a lion. Thinking it would need to go on the left side of my bino harness to make sure it was within reach.

I’ve been carrying a 357 snub nose revolver, eventual wanna get a 9 mm of some sort in the next few years , if a cougar ever did come at me , kinda thinking it’s gonna be under 50 yds at that point , where I live it’s so thick you’ll never see them , can ya keep calm and make it count while crapping yourself ! Ha ha ha , hope I never have to use it , but feel safer just having it with me , not living in Griz country , I’ve been taking the woods where I live for granted, with the events this summer that changed my thought process, years ago I used to surf the Oregon coast and we always joked when you enter the water you enter the food chain because of the great whites off the Oregon coast, plus I grew up in Alaska so dad always had me packing on most fishing trips , like most things in life times change, and there Changing where I live , time to adapt :hump:

F9304843-B2B1-4C52-B085-FD51A1271821.jpeg414C94E6-0E8F-43F9-8752-26A10F8742BB.jpeg

Last edited:
There does seem to be a lot of them. I’ve personally seen two at my folks’ place near Sisters. Their neighbor killed one off the back porch a couple years ago after it killed another neighbor’s dog. Awful that woman was killed like that.

Hopefully at some point , the non hunting population of this state will begin to realize that we need dogs to successfully hunt cougars again in Oregon and will be put back on the ballot , I wonder how many people hav to die before it gets people’s attention to the exploding cougar population in Oregon.

That’d be great, but man, good luck. Probably have to be a couple people dying a week for that to happen. My guess is most people living in the city centers (most of Oregon’s population) wouldn’t go for it. I had to kill a mouse during class today, and multiple kids were crying. Crying. I teach 8th grade.

Last edited:
I really don’t understand this state. They’ll pay government trappers to kill cougars instead of letting hunters use dogs. My guess is they could up the tag price considerably if dogs were allowed.

I really don’t understand this state. They’ll pay government trappers to kill cougars instead of letting hunters use dogs. My guess is they could up the tag price considerably if dogs were allowed.
At least you guys can hunt them there, in my neck of the woods in Comifornia they're completely protected. So much so that a fish and game commissioner lost his position on the board because he harvested one in Idaho a few years back

OregonChris,

That is a great choice as a handgun, but PLEASE get a better holster. That is a trip to the hospital waiting to happen. Double action revolvers holsters need a fully concealed trigger and/or a hammer strap.

I’ve been carrying a 357 snub nose revolver, eventual wanna get a 9 mm of some sort in the next few years , if a cougar ever did come at me , kinda thinking it’s gonna be under 50 yds at that point , where I live it’s so thick you’ll never see them , can ya keep calm and make it count while crapping yourself ! Ha ha ha , hope I never have to use it , but feel safer just having it with me , not living in Griz country , I’ve been taking the woods where I live for granted, with the events this summer that changed my thought process, years ago I used to surf the Oregon coast and we always joked when you enter the water you enter the food chain because of the great whites off the Oregon coast, plus I grew up in Alaska so dad always had me packing on most fishing trips , like most things in life times change, and there Changing where I live , time to adapt :hump:

View attachment 86933View attachment 86934

Living in Oregon and owning property with many cougars ( on my trail cam) the population is out of control. I have also hunted them extensively in Colorado with dogs. There is little reason for a cat to attack you unless you happen to be near a kill site. If it does attack you you wont see it coming. They are not like bears that will size you up or make false charges ( not always) but most of the time. A cougar will usually always attack from the blind side or from above and unlike a bear if it does attack it wants to eat you, not maul, or scare you. You wont see it coming. A large cat kills one deer or elk ever week on average.

Oregon is controlled by wackos, and will never allow dog hunting again. Soon the wolves will take over also.

What do you pack for cougars? I've been looking over options and haven't quite decided. I want it to be super small/light so I will carry it but also be enough for a lion. Thinking it would need to go on the left side of my bino harness to make sure it was within reach.

Check these guys out, I just picked up the 4.62 barrel length. Really cool round on paper and you can shoot a handful of different cartridges.
https://ruger.com/products/newModelSingleSixSingleSeven/models.html

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Killcarp2
Back