Caribou Gear Tarp

first cat hunt

Cuban

Last thursday I saw my first cat treed. Ive been hunting in northern NM with a guide. We found the tracks early in the A.M. and were chasing shortly after. After two and a half hours of climbing steep terrain in knee high snow we caught up to the dogs at the tree. What a great sight to see the cat in the tree with the dogs going crazy. I think Im already hooked for life on hound hunting, what a blast! As we approached the tree my guide told me the lion looked small to medium. He said it was a female and probably weighed 90 - 100 lbs. He said the decision was up to me to take it or not. I opted to let this one go.My guide agreed. I certainly dont regret the decision as I get to hunt again, and hopefully see the dogs tree another one for me. Anyhow, heres my question. This was the first cat that I have seen, and to be honest it looked good to my inexperienced eyes. Im not looking for a record book cat, and dont want to take one before its time, but what do you look for to estimate the size of the cat once it is in the tree??

Wecome Cuban to Moosies forum!!!!! I am so proud of you for what you did!!! I just wish more lion huntewrs were that consciensious!!!!!!! Your guide should be commended as well!!!! As you probably know most females have kittens somewhere, that dont travel with the female all the time like bears cubs do. Your guide should be able to tell the difference between a tom and a female, in the tree and when he first finds the track!!! ANyway good going and I for one am very proud of you and hope you join in the conversation more often, thanks for your post!!!! Cuban you are hunting with a guide and he should be able to tell the difference in the tree if he isnt sure of the track before you get to the tree. Toms have two distinct dark brown or blackish spots under their tail (at the base of the tail), and their head is uaualy more rounded and masculine looking than a female. Females kinda have a heart shaped face. Its hard to tell size in a tree until you have seen alot of them. I will post a picture here in a little bit of a big tom. Notice the thickness of his legs and between his back and stomach! Also the shape of his head. bcat
View

------------------
If you aint the lead dog the scenery never changes
bcatrunningcat.gif

Logoboy.jpg

http://www.huntandlodge.com/Boykin/outfitter.html
www.huntandlodge.com
www.recworld.com/boykin

[This message has been edited by bcat (edited 02-04-2001).]

[This message has been edited by bcat (edited 02-04-2001).]

Welcome Cuban<
Not wanting to repeat what b'cat said, but I am proud to hear about guides and cat hunters like yourself! I took my first lion hunt this year with b'cat and had a great time!
We could have ran some smaller cats, but we stayed hard and fast after a huge Tom during the hunt!
Tell you like I did Cuz, AKA b'cat, to me shooting a she cat is like shooting a hen turkey. You shoot 1 female and you might as well say you killed 20 cats for the future.!

My 8 days cutting tracks with b'cat was just as exciting as many other hunts where i took super trophies.
I am a life long houndsman and I am glad to see more houndsmen come over!

i can assure you, I will be back up Wyoming way this year to use that 2001 tag I left at b'cats. Hope to get to hunt with ya oneday, as I do the other houndsmen here!
Welcome to a REAL forum and a place you can call home on the puter!
Thumper

------------------
sneaky.gif

IF YA CAN'T RUN WITH THE BIG DAWGS, KEEP YOUR ARSE ON THE PORCH

http://www.geocities.com/thumper_67.geo

bcat
Thanks for the picture and tip, It will be at least one week before we go out and hunt again. Ill let you all know how it turns out.

We definitely need more guys passing on small cats in the Panhandle of ID. OUR luck has been absolutley rotten this year. (not luck either, there aint no cats). We've treed two small lions, haven't seen a big cats track ALL WINTER! Starting to get a little worried.

Anyhow, good jpob on passing the little one, he'll grow up big (or she'll produce some toms)_ in the future!

Hornseeker-If ya have ever been around any old houndsman they will tell ya "DONT SHOOT THE FEMALES" I truely wish they would make it illegal to shoot a female. I have seen so many orphaned kittens in my lifetime, it just makes me sick. The hunting of lions without dogs should not be allowed either because its usually a female that gets blasted, with a kill on site method of hunting them. At least with the use of dogs you can be relatively sure its a tom before ya pull the trigger. bcat

------------------
If you aint the lead dog the scenery never changes
bcatrunningcat.gif

Logoboy.jpg

http://www.huntandlodge.com/Boykin/outfitter.html
www.huntandlodge.com
www.recworld.com/boykin

Cuban,

Great to see you post here! I was beginning to think you'd never do it! I'v enjoyed hunting with you on your bear hunt and now on your lion hunt, we'll get that big guy yet!

------------------
"The worst advice you can give a person with a sour attitude is to be himself"
[email protected]

Hey BCA, sound's like you guy's had a good time.I sure hope you get him into a big tom, I really love seeing picture's.Good luck to you Cuban.

------------------
Debbie

Cuban, again good luck to ya on yer hunt. Wish all lion hunters had your code of ethics!!!
biggrin.gif
bcat

[This message has been edited by bcat (edited 02-12-2001).]

Cuban,

Glad to see this thread back in the hound section where it belongs. Did you get the pics scanned? Let me know if you need more help posting them.

------------------
"The worst advice you can give a person with a sour attitude is to be himself"
[email protected]

Cuban, Real happy to have you back.I hope to see some picture's up soon.The more I see of this the more I would like to try it.I may have to get Steve to get me a cat hunt with BCA for my birthday or Christmas.If I know us we would have to draw straw's to see who get's to hunt .LOL We both love it so much it is both or none.That is a big draw back to having your wife hunt.

------------------
Debbie

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back