Caribou Gear Tarp

First Aid Supply procurment

tim629

Where are you guys buying your first aid supplies?

had someone suggest north-american rescue, but looking around you can buy some of their stuff elsewhere cheaper but also looks to be about a million first aid sites don't want to throw away money unnecessarily but also don't want to buy a cheap Chinese knockoff

right now looking to add a sam splint or 2 and a tourniquet

maybe some other odds and ends

Buying a full kit is easier and generally cheaper. See adventure medical kits on here.

My refills I generally got off Amazon.

If you have a hospital hookup, especially the nonprofit ones, they can get you stuff.

406: have a lot of first aid stuff already just looking for some specialized things like the cat torniquet, sam splint, already ordered some seals for chest wounds

john: never would have thought about checking wal-mart thanks for that tip

My local military surplus has sutures and some other things. Just need a buddy to practice my stitch work on 😉

I got my RATS tourniquet on Amazon. My wife works in healthcare so most of the other stuff she gets through her job

@Bluejeep practice on a banana peel. That is what they had us do in dental school. The peel will withstand about the same suture pressure as skin, and it allows you to approximate both sides of the wound (peel line) as you would with skin. With that being said, does anyone ever pack in any lidocaine/syringe etc. in with them? I'm new to backcountry hunting, but if I ever have to place sutures I think that little carp of lidocaine would be worth its minuscule weight in gold.. thoughts?

@Bluejeep practice on a banana peel. That is what they had us do in dental school. The peel will withstand about the same suture pressure as skin, and it allows you to approximate both sides of the wound (peel line) as you would with skin. With that being said, does anyone ever pack in any lidocaine/syringe etc. in with them? I'm new to backcountry hunting, but if I ever have to place sutures I think that little carp of lidocaine would be worth its minuscule weight in gold.. thoughts?

in our first aid kit in the horse trailer we have lidocaine & syringes, I would think for back country might be better to see if you can find a cream? at least in the mouth it does a nice job taking the first round off so not sure how it would do on a flesh wound, i've also only seen the liquid in 50ml+ glass bottles so not exactly backcountry friendly

Amazon is usually an excellent source. RECON medical LLC sells some great specialty items and all their stuff comes guaranteed. If you use it, they'll replace it.

I learned on raw chicken thighs to suture the skins

I’ve been stitched up without it before. It’s bearable. It was my hand, so not the most sensitive part of my body, but nonetheless it’s uncomfortable but a hell of a lot better than the alternative.

I use Jeffers for a few items, I like this tape as it breathe good and sticks good.
I've used https://www.firstaidsuppliesonline.com/ and Amazon too.
You know your getting cheap imports stuff when it's 10 for $9.99 But in a pinch cheap stuff is better then no stuff.
I'm a self taught medic from having too many life issues LOL For stiches they have glue, and your trip is over if you want to keep that body part.
I bought the Seahorse SE-300F Protective Case with Foam and use that as my first aid kit. It's orange and small enough to fit any where in the truck. I did buy some first aid stickers on ebay, so everyone knows what's inside.

Last edited:
Unless you're an NP or PA, might I recomend suture strips rather than actual sutures. I had a buddy spend hundreds on some TacMed kit and ask me what for/how to use the 14ga catheter in it. Don't be that guy.

Unless you're an NP or PA, might I recomend suture strips rather than actual sutures. I had a buddy spend hundreds on some TacMed kit and ask me what for/how to use the 14ga catheter in it. Don't be that guy.
Haha! Or, we used thin strips of duct tape then a nice large piece to slap on top once when a buddy slipped his skinning blade along his leg. Not too long though it was a 14 stitch job once we got him to med station. Afghan Spec Ops buddy says duct tape has been a savior in more ways than one.

Based on popular movies, I believe it is likely a sign of manhood to never carry lidocaine with your suture kit.

Seriously, there's way more to it than that, though. If you really want to do stuff like this, get some training. You have to know what structures underlie the area you are suturing. Simple flesh wound to the thigh, OK. Hands/face/joints are more problematic. Generally speaking, you're better off irrigating, putting on some tape strips/pressure bandage and heading back to town. The Wilderness Medical Society is an excellent source of information on how to treat injuries in the boonies. Remember, these guidelines are for folks with training. While the link looks squirrelly, it works.

Last edited by a moderator:
Carry 2 tourniquets, leg/ femoral wounds often require the application of 2 to control bleeding. CAT is the way to go, easiest to self apply. Be sure to stage them for use. If you can get your hands on some dermabond that works better than sutures.

tourniquets are to be applied as high as possible on the affected limb!!! Never at the knee, elbow or just above the wound!!!

This drives the point home, that medical training is of up most importance. I am not a medic, nor do I have medical training beyond first aid and assisting medics and Dr's in crisis. I am working on memory from years past, aren't the best places to get a good arterial flow cut-off (tourniquet), at the top of the limb (groin and arm pit?

This drives the point home, that medical training is of up most importance. I am not a medic, nor do I have medical training beyond first aid and assisting medics and Dr's in crisis. I am working on memory from years past, aren't the best places to get a good arterial flow cut-off (tourniquet), at the top of the limb (groin and arm pit?
Yes see my post above yours

That is what I thought you ment. Please forgive me, I have been pushing it to the limit over the past few weeks, purchasing a property. Tomorrow is closing, start moving and, though this sale has just flown through, getting things pre-setup is exhausting.

Is there a course recommended for better training than basic first aid?

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back