Fires across Colorado

Hummer

We've been watching the progress of the Pine Gulch and Grizzly Creek fires. The Pine Gulch fire started in the Bookcliffs north of Palisade and has grown to more than ~58,000 acres, one of the largest in Colorado history. It's readily visible at 12 miles north of our farm outside Palisade.

The Grizzly Creek fire is burning north, south, east and west and through Glenwood Canyon and is around 8000 acres, closing I-70 in both directions and evacuating residents from No Name to Cottonwood Pass. It is the the highest-priority fire in the country due to the I-70 closure. Closer detour routes have been closed making the longer routes difficult and impractical. I don't know when I'll be able to travel to irrigate. I-70 could be closed for another week or more.

This state and our country really needs the leadership to build efficient alternate north and south transportation routes across the Continental Divide.

At our mountain home a few miles east of the divide we've been inundated by the heavy smoke, ash fallout and the orange glow of light filtering through smoke. I imagine that many along the northern Front Range are getting it too. We live in a high fire danger area surrounded by spruce-fir forest and I work every week to lessen the risk. When we see the smoke we are cognizant of the tremendous loss of life and productivity that comes from the fires. I worry about the bighorns in Glenwood Canyon, and all the other animals. From what I've seen from mountain forest fires not all the ungulates escape and few small mammals survive. Fortunately, the breeding season for most birds is over now but juveniles and migrants are at risk. I understand the advantage of vegetative rejuvenation which comes some years later but there's little about forest fires that gives me pleasure.

Yea it is a bit of a mess. I wonder what the firefighters do to mitigate coronavirus spread. I mean, they're all in the same camp, share trucks, etc. right? My knowledge is limited but seems like just another layer to the already very stressful job. Hoping for a change in the weather.

and highway 14 now closed due to another fire - cameron peak fire. that's a serious beetle kill forest, and not terribly far from the western reaches of the 2012 high park fire which really blew up due to beetle kill

as far as more transportion routes across the continential divide in regards to OP comment..... pretty much wherever there aren't massive mountains and/or wilderness areas and a viable option exists, there is a road that gets you across the divide

Last edited:
I expect I-70 through Glenwood Canyon to be closed frequently through the fall and winter. With how strep the terrain is through the canyon, rock fall and mud slides seem likely, if it ever rains again.

I have a friend from GJ who worked in Glenwood Springs for the week and could watch the fire from where she was. It took her and her crew about 6 hours to get back to GJ yesterday going around the fire.

Ash fallout and thick smoke in Meeker all week. Smoke in GJ now.

Prayers for those on the line. That is some rugged country.

Yea it is a bit of a mess. I wonder what the firefighters do to mitigate coronavirus spread. I mean, they're all in the same camp, share trucks, etc. right? My knowledge is limited but seems like just another layer to the already very stressful job. Hoping for a change in the weather.

Back in the spring before fire season kicked off through most of the west, there were discussions and plans outlined regarding strategies to deal with covid19. Some plans discussed have turned out to be impractical and others have had some successes.

Plans like resources not leaving the region (ie. Idaho engine to Arizona for an assignment) lost favor once regions started have large fires. So resources headed out of state with other mitigation ideas in mind.

Another idea that was quickly shown to be ineffective was the 'no more than two people per rig'. Basically the first fire that a hotshot crew went to with 8 rigs demonstrated the impracticality of trying to get one crew down a narrow road, turned around, maintain good communication.

One plan that has hung around so far was limiting the large fire camps. Crews have regularly been spiking out and staying with just that crew, keeping crews isolated from each other as best as possible.

I know where I'll be hunting in a few years :) Sucks with how bad these fires are but its good for the habitat and this region is already great for hunting! About to just get better!

I'm starting to wonder if we should even fight them unless property and life is in danger. Our forests are a nasty mess of beetle kill, why put off the inevitable?

i feel this way too

i always feel so horrible about the little thoughts i have where i root for the fire

but i mean, the high park fire was a classic example of these so called "mega" or "super fires" that are burning with such abnormal temperature and severity that the regrowth is stunted or nonexistant. which is not what i'm rooting for. though, perhaps if we hadn't stunted so many fires to begin with they wouldn't get to such extremmes when they do start

but i mean, the high park fire was a classic example of these so called "mega" or "super fires" that are burning with such abnormal temperature and severity that the regrowth is stunted or nonexistant. which is not what i'm rooting for. though, perhaps if we hadn't stunted so many fires to begin with they wouldn't get to such extremmes when they do start

Yeah, the Hayman and Buffalo Creek fire scars are still wastelands, hardly any tree recovery whatsoever...

The ancillary costs and collateral damage need to be assessed in fighting/not fighting these fires as well. Flash floods resulting in road/bridge damage and loss of life, sediment and ash filled creeks and rivers affecting aquatic life and domestic water supplies, debris flows and rock slides, air-quality impacts, etc., etc. need to be weighed against risk to fire personnel, risks to homes and infrastructure, benefits to habitat, etc., etc.

Wildfires that burn crazy hot are not what is needed to make quality habitat.
Many times they will never recover completely from such intensity.
Yes grass will grow at some point, but many times they are to severe burns to let Habitat return fully.
Prescribed burns obviously are what is needed more so when it can be done on large scales.

@wllm1313 , If it were RMNP, which is as sparse as it comes, and is rampant with beetle kill, would you say let it burn, or fight it? I understand the other ramifications, but at what point do we just accept nature as being nature. We want wolves , because they are a natural occurrence, but fight fires, many of which are lightning caused, with everything we have. Im having a hard time seeing the lines.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishing-Moka
Back