Fireforming .280AI brass

NVDesertHunter

Good Morning,

Been thinking of getting a Kimber rifle in 280AI. I wanted to know if anyone has recommendations on making/buying brass.

I know that Nosler has factory brass in .280AI, but after 2 months of searching online I still haven't seen it available.

This would be my go-to rifle so I would prefer to use only the highest quality brass. Norma and Nosler both make 280 Rem brass, but I wanted to ask if anyone has experience with Hornady or Federal brass.

I would like to find a "decent" (1.5inch @ 100yd) factory load in Hornady or Federal in .280 Rem if the situation arises where I need to use factory .280 Rem in my .280AI (lost ammo while traveling). If Hornady and Federal make quality brass I could use the fireformed case to reload for the 280AI.

Thanks and Happy Hunting,

My father in law picked up a 280AI Kimber Montana, and he has had a pretty easy time finding Nosler factory loads. You might consider looking this direction. Shoot them once and you are left with some top notch brass.

I use Hornady brass most of the time, I have never had an issue with it, and I get good case life. Can't speak for .280AI but no problem in all my other calibers.

I have a Kimber MT in 280 AI and went with the Nosler AI brass. It is good stuff, but when this batch is done I'll probably fire form. The magazine box was binding in my rifle and groups were pretty bad with everything. After taking a little metal off the magazine box, I have been able to find a load that will do 1.5 MOA with everything I've tried with most loads close to 1 MOA. 150 gr Nosler ballistic tips with IMR 4350 or 150 gr TTSX with H4831 are my go to loads.

for my 280ai i did manage to find nosler brass, it's very easy to deal with

I think going from 280 to 280AI you will be fine with whatever brass brand you like, I have a 338-06ai that I used 270 winchester brass to form and it turned out fine once I figured out to stretch it in 2 steps but 280 to AI will be easy and will get you used to shooting your rifle before you start to worry about the load

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back