Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Firearms Insurance

woodsman

I am looking to insure my firearms and was wondering if anyone has had any experiences, good or bad, with their provider? I am currently looking at ArmsCare Plus which is offered thru the NRA and seems to be affordable with $20K coverage for $219/yr. If I were to add them to my existing homeowners policy, it would nearly double my policy premium and I would be forced to report all serial numbers in addition to having them appraised by a certified appraiser. None of which is required thru ArmsCare Plus.

I had also considered upgrading my safe but, due to not having a basement in my home, even a top of the line safe would really limit my protection against fire, regardless of the fire rating.

Let me know who you guys are using and what your experiences have been with them.

Thanks

I am in the same boat and have been researching on some other forums. I've heard some bad stuff about ArmsCare. Most of the advice I received indicated that the best companies to go with were Collectables Insurance (https://collectinsure.com/) or some other one I think it was called Eastern? I got a free online quote from Collectables and it was pretty reasonable...also covers ammo, scopes, etc...

Also I'm not a big believer in high end safes, fire ratings, or upgrading safes. IMO between the two, insurance is a much better option (of course having both wouldn't be bad). In my mind having good insurance kind of makes a safe a moot point. I owe a safe for 3 reasons: #1 I got it for free #2 safety #3 theft deterrent. The only way I would invest in a high end safe with some fancy fire rating is if I had guns that were irreplaceable or one of a kind type things (which I have none of).

My Farmers agent had tried to sell me a rider that required serial #s etc. When I added coverage for a solar power system he tacked on an extra $20K coverage without needing anything extra.

Apparently firearms owners aren't keen on providing that info so they set reasonable coverage up assuming they'll likely only get the claim in a total loss.

My Farmers agent had tried to sell me a rider that required serial #s etc. When I added coverage for a solar power system he tacked on an extra $20K coverage without needing anything extra.

Apparently firearms owners aren't keen on providing that info so they set reasonable coverage up assuming they'll likely only get the claim in a total loss.

Are you sure that extra $20k covers firearms? Why would they need serial numbers before but not now?

I'm 100% positive it covers firearms- this was something he and I talked about at length, my primary concern where I live is wildfires and fire damage. If I ever makes claim I'll likely have to substantiate the fact that I owned that much in some form, video or reciepts etc. but the coverage is there and specific to firearms. I've never had a homeowner claim and have a small farm rider and some other unique coverage but I also have a good agent. If you deal with strangers they don't have the same incentive to take care of you as long term clients. We added my Polaris Ranger as a farm vehicle for about a 1/3 of what I would pay elsewhere.

When I get to the get to the office I'll double check the wording on the policy I'm pretty sure it is one line "Firearms" $20,000. I'm not sure why they couldn't do that before and why they can now. I would t be surprised if $20K was the limit.

With our new totalitarian state of CA gun laws I'd be a criminal if I don't report theft within 5 days including serial numbers. Oh and if I wanted to loan my insurance guy, dentist or non family member a shotgun I would be committing a crime too.

My friends who have had losses from fires have mostly had to fight tooth and nail to get most everything covered so I would expect to have the same kind of fight. We have neighbors who were bUrned down and we have had to evacuate while I was in Colorado elk hunting but my wife got most of the guns and photos when she left.

USAA, my homeowner's insurance provider, doesn't offer a specific firearms only policy. What I was able to get is a valuable personal property policy. I can list all of my firearms, with serial numbers, and it's very reasonably priced. It covers me for theft and fires and all that good stuff.

USAA, my homeowner's insurance provider, doesn't offer a specific firearms only policy. What I was able to get is a valuable personal property policy. I can list all of my firearms, with serial numbers, and it's very reasonably priced. It covers me for theft and fires and all that good stuff.
I'm gonna have to look into that. USAA doesn't write HO policies in Florida, but might have a separate deal. I have been looking into this a little as I am starting to acquire a few.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trapper330
Back