Finding the best pack

338 win mag

My question is not so much about brands of packs as much as finding one that's most comfortable for me. I have the Horn Hunter full curl system which I absolutely love for all of its features and different compartments. My only issue, albeit maybe most importantly, is that it's not that comfortable for me. The waist belt padding is too hard for me and just doesn't fit my hips in general. Ive used it for 3 seasons and I'm ready to try something new. Here in NC there just aren't that many places to try packs on. Aside from ordering different brands to find one that's comfortable, I don't have any really good ideas. I believe REI may be the only place close to me that sell packs other than Cabelas/Basspro.im leaning towards Mystery Ranch because they have different size yokes and waist belts (as I am a thinner guy). What are yours guys suggestions?

Yeah, it’s too bad you can’t attend one of the trade shows to try them out. My opinion is that the better packs (MR, EXO, Kifaru, Stone Glacier) are all really nice/comfortable and people often choose them based more on their design/features.

My question is not so much about brands of packs as much as finding one that's most comfortable for me. I have the Horn Hunter full curl system which I absolutely love for all of its features and different compartments. My only issue, albeit maybe most importantly, is that it's not that comfortable for me. The waist belt padding is too hard for me and just doesn't fit my hips in general. Ive used it for 3 seasons and I'm ready to try something new. Here in NC there just aren't that many places to try packs on. Aside from ordering different brands to find one that's comfortable, I don't have any really good ideas. I believe REI may be the only place close to me that sell packs other than Cabelas/Basspro.im leaning towards Mystery Ranch because they have different size yokes and waist belts (as I am a thinner guy). What are yours guys suggestions?

I think most of the bigger name companies make different sizes of hip belts. Most companies also allow you to buy and return within a time period if you decide it doesn't fit well.

I think most of the bigger name companies make different sizes of hip belts. Most companies also allow you to buy and return within a time period if you decide it doesn't fit well.
Cool I guess that may be my best bet after all

Yeah, it’s too bad you can’t attend one of the trade shows to try them out. My opinion is that the better packs (MR, EXO, Kifaru, Stone Glacier) are all really nice/comfortable and people often choose them based more on their design/features.
I've been to the Rocky Mountain Sporting Goods in Cody, WY but I really wasnt in the market at the time. Most if not all of the trade shows I've been to near home were centered around whitetails and not western hunting of course. I would love to attend one of the western hunting trade shows.

Last edited:
There's no meaningful way to know the best fit without trying a bunch out in my experience. It's an unfortunate reality.

There's no meaningful way to know the best fit without trying a bunch out in my experience. It's an unfortunate reality.
I think that's my problem now. I love the features of the pack I have now, it's the fit thats the issue. I ordered it online without being able to try it on. I may look into ordering and return policy of MR, Exo, etc

Id also recommend posting where you are located and seeing if any forum members live reasonably close to you. Some might have a certain brand and you could try it on before making any choices. Other than that ordering a few different packs and trying them on with about 30lbs in them is best.
I’d look at Stone Glacier, Kuiu, Kifaru or EXO.

Id also recommend posting where you are located and seeing if any forum members live reasonably close to you. Some might have a certain brand and you could try it on before making any choices. Other than that ordering a few different packs and trying them on with about 30lbs in them is best.
I’d look at Stone Glacier, Kuiu, Kifaru or EXO.
+1
AA.jpg

Be careful with opinion. Fit and comfort are extremely subject to body type and use of the pack.

As others have stated, make a post on the forum and see if you can find member close to you on the forum who may be able to help in letting you try on/look at a pack you think you may like. Good luck with your search. If that doesn't work you may have to just spend the time and research, research, research then order a pack. Try it on, load it and see what you think. Return it if it doesn't look like it's gonna work. Be very sure about return policies before you start this process.

Where are you in N.C.? They just built a new Sportsman’s Warehouse in Greensboro and as far as I know they carry mystery ranch and eberlestock as well. May not be in all stores. I’d check before I went.

Where are you in N.C.? They just built a new Sportsman’s Warehouse in Greensboro and as far as I know they carry mystery ranch and eberlestock as well. May not be in all stores. I’d check before I went.
Near Charlotte. I know theres one in Columbia, SC as well. I'll definitely check into that

The waist belt padding is too hard for me and just doesn't fit my hips in general.
I have the same pack and same complaint (I'm hoping they will come out with an updated hip and shoulder system with wider, softer padding, that can be swapped out. I did add new tension buckles for the load lifters to spread them out a little and that made the shoulders fit better). I'm seeing Mystery Ranch in one of our local stores now, but don't know about where you live. I work with a bunch of hunters and have been able to check out MR, Exo and Seek packs of theirs, you might search for other forum members that are somewhat near that would let you check out their pack?

I have the same pack and same complaint (I'm hoping they will come out with an updated hip and shoulder system with wider, softer padding, that can be swapped out. I did add new tension buckles for the load lifters to spread them out a little and that made the shoulders fit better). I'm seeing Mystery Ranch in one of our local stores now, but don't know about where you live. I work with a bunch of hunters and have been able to check out MR, Exo and Seek packs of theirs, you might search for other forum members that are somewhat near that would let you check out their pack?
Yeah I love the pack itself my issue is with the padding also. The waist belt really rubs and digs on my hip bones.

Back