"finally got picked!"

swampbuck

Drawing Saturday, found out Sunday morn. Put in for Maine Moose Hunt 31 yrs in a row. I got October, a bull, Zone #14, for 6 days. 73 miles from my house to a friend's camp, whose place is on the border of 14 & 17.

I tell others, I'm 1/3 of the way there. When I go I'll be 2/3. When I harvest one I'll be 3/3, all of the way there. I know at least I got drawn. That's the 1st, BIG thing.

swamp

You won't be too far from me. I drew New Hampshire zone C2 right on the border. Had 8 points.

Drawing Saturday, found out Sunday morn. Put in for Maine Moose Hunt 31 yrs in a row. I got October, a bull, Zone #14, for 6 days. 73 miles from my house to a friend's camp, whose place is on the border of 14 & 17.

I tell others, I'm 1/3 of the way there. When I go I'll be 2/3. When I harvest one I'll be 3/3, all of the way there. I know at least I got drawn. That's the 1st, BIG thing.

swamp

So, you're telling me there's probably not any point in putting in for that tag at this stage of my life:(. Congrats on the tag, looking forward to a story and some pics this fall!

I got drawn last year unit 13 cow and it was my first year applying got the tag on alternate list to beat that. Had a friend draw 3 bull tags up there in 15 years or so. It is just luck of the draw I guess got shot down for both Maine and New Hampshire this year..... Guess I will stay consistant.... :rolleyes:

BrownBear:

Before, If you get picked in Maine, you had to wait 2 yrs before applying again. As of this year 2012, you (I) have to wait 3 yrs. I can also buy points for the next 3 yrs so in the 4th year when I apply again, I'll have 4 chances going for me. $ $ $.

Swamp

Yeah your right on the 3 year wait but I was hoping the wife was gonna draw and guess I found a way to go through that route she is the besstttest!!!!! LOL:D

Way to go Swampbuck thats a long time to hang in there,I hope I dont have to wait that long ,had max pts this year and according to IFand Ws website all 3500 with max pts should draw in 5yrs,I hope they know what they are talking about.Anyway I would like to hear about your hunt when you have time.Good Luck

NO Max points guarantee any selection.

Q. Is there any certain number of bonus points that will guarantee me a permit?
A. No. Your bonus points accumulate until you are drawn (as long as you apply yearly), and each point puts your name into the drawing an extra time (in addition to your chances purchased), so your odds increase as your bonus points accumulate.

This is from their site. You cannot confuse the PP system other states have were you are eventually get a guarantee selection..........This does not work in this manner at all.

Congrats on your tag! Now shoot a monster! I've seen some bulls up there that look like they should be in the Yukon. Best of luck to you!

So, you're telling me there's probably not any point in putting in for that tag at this stage of my life:(. Congrats on the tag, looking forward to a story and some pics this fall!
Pretty much.....I have been putting in and buy 20 bonus chances a year for some time and have yet to get a tag.They have some GREAT bulls up there and some would rival any in Canada and some in the Yukon. Im headdin up there tomorrow to a buddys family camp they have for bear. I look at it this way...I put in and forget about it...if I draw I go....I do the same for sheep...If I draw I go if not o well there is always next year :cool:

Last edited:
Finally Got Picked - Finally Got One Bull! Didn't Post It

Y'all: Last June 26, I posted "Finally Got Picked." Well, I sent back to OYOA pics & a brief story to Andrea,of OYOA?? Came back it didn't go thru or sumpin... Wifey deleted it.

So, I'll tell this... Went Oct.8 for 6 days. By 9:20 1st morn, saw a young bull, sub & I fired 7 shots at over 270 yds away, 3 hits & it was down. 7-pt, 670 Bull. We gutted & hauled out by a long nylon rope to the road. Took back to camp, skinned, quartered it, and put on ice.
To the butchers next morn. Friend did a European mount for me. I'm still picking off little pieces to finish it.

I used a SAVAGE 110, (1958) 1st year, in .270 cal., Rem. 150grn. Sub used Rem.700 SS, 30-06; Win. 165 grn. Not a big one,,, but it's MINE !!! I can apply again in 2016.

Hey W.D. Didn't explain enuf. Over 800 feet of 3/4-1" rope was put on a ball on back of a pickup truck & that made 80-100ft pulls, then reset on the ball for another pull. Put it on the back of a flat trailer & hauled it out of there.

Hope this is a better explanation.

Hey K Hunter:

It was down into thick stuff, not out in the open w/a clear shot. Just made out 8-10" of the back & a little bit of the neck & head. It moved into a little opening & stopped. Next would be thicker & taller bushes. Decided to take my shot then. Maybe couple of shots hit brush, jack pines, alders... I don't know. One shot did hit part of the liver, but the rest of it was good, wild, gamey moose taste. Moose burgers are great, steaks are good too. Haven't had stew meat, roasts yet. Forgot about sausage!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back