Finally found the one!

utah400elk

After a very long and exhaustive search, I found the magic combo that my 300 WSM loves. I tried different brass, primers, bullets and powder. I settled on 62.3 grns of RE17 in Norma brass with Federal Large Magnum match primers, Barnes 175 LRX at 2.820 COAL. These chrono at about 3050 F fps and give me about 1/2 inch MOA. I actually put 6 rounds in 1/2 inch MOA. Nice group for a Howa hunting rifle.

Not sure anybody cares but this has been such a long and hard search for the perfect round that I had to post it.

I wish everybody the best of luck in their upcoming hunts.

I have a press and a bench but have yet to load any ammo on it. I've had it a couple years or so.

Congrats on your successful load combo.

Tough reloading can be more frustrating than missing a chip shot at a 350 bull. That load was exactly where I was headed before I sold my 300WSM, fortunately a stand up guy from here bought it and knocked down a killer bear this spring.

I have 5 rifles that need loads right now and I don't have the time to get even one of them done....not sure if this is saving me agony or making it worse.

Good work! I can understand your happiness as I've got a gun that I can't get to group worth a crap. When I finally find the magic load, I'm sure I'll be jumping up and down as well.

Good job! Makes it all worthwhile when you finally zero in the combo that works.

I have a box of those same bullets on my bench waiting for my newly barreled / trued 3006 to arrive back here this week. Really hoping to avoid a bunch of load development work with the cost and availability of components being what it is. Have IMR4064 and IMR4350 to start with. If anyone has played with 175 LRX's in a 3006 and willing to share notes- I'm all ears and appreciate any help!

Congrats on finding the right recipe!

PS- 1/2 inch MOA is wrong nomenclature. It's either a 1/2" group or 1/2 MOA...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sept7872
Back