Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Finally drew idaho unit 40 late rifle tag!

Elkaholic11

After about 15 years of putting in for unit 40 late rifle tag I finally pulled it off. My expectations are 180+, is that unreasonable? Or should I set them higher? To top my story off I was also lucky enough to draw the elk super tag! This is the year!

Congrats on two great tags. We will be looking forward to your stories of the hunt and pictures that are sure to follow.

Elk super AND late 40 buck... Sweet. Congrats and bring us along via hunt talk.

Remember to have fun along the way.

My wife also drew unit 40 for this year! She is super excited. I guess I should have put in with her instead of separate, but with my luck neither of us would have got drawn if I did that, lol.

I had a late 40 tag a few years ago. Best advice I can give is focus on areas where there aren't any elk or elk hunters. I started hunting around Rooster Comb Peak because I had reports from several archery hunters of some 30" class bucks. Thing was, the elk hunters pretty much had all the deer blown out when the deer season opened. I'd also avoid everything north of Silver City unless you have something pegged before the season opens. The big bucks tend to hang in the timbered areas until the rut kicks in. Play the weather. The deer in that country are a lot easier to pick out with some snow on the ground. Missed a low 180's class the 5th day and ended up shooting a 175 deer near Black Butte the next evening. Used my GPS to snake my atv in 13 miles from my camp. Never saw a fresh truck or atv track back in there and saw lots of deer. Point is, get off the beaten path and away from other hunters and you'll see deer...

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htcooke
Back