PEAX Equipment

Finally built my Howa 1500

midwesthunter

This project started a couple years ago, I wanted to build another long range rig but on a budget with a quality scope. I usually go with a Remington 700 for these projects, but happened to come across a clearance sale on brownells for a howa 1500 300 win mag 26" heavy barreled action with threaded barrel. And I had a gift card and a additional 20% off code. I think this ended up being in the $250 range then I had the $50 GC. I found a houge overmold stock on sale w/ full bed block, so that was purchased. Vortex came out with their Gen 2 of the viper pst, so I was able to snag a Gen 1 6-24 power for under $500 on clearance. Used Vortex tactical rings as well. For the scope base, found a Outer limits 20 MOA base on sale, never used them so decided to give a try. The muzzle brake s one I designed and made.

This is the first Howa I have owned, I'm not sure if I like the trigger yet, the 2 stage doesn't bother me, but there is a lot of take up in this trigger. The safety is also really hard to operate, hard as in stiff. Its very stiff and gritty feeling. Its the same in and out of the stock.

This is also the first Houge stock I have owned that wasn't free floated, it contacts the barrel at the end, I will pull back apart and trim some of the rubber, it should fix it.

I will also be switching from the med height rings to a low mounting height.

Hopefully I can get these changes made soon, so I can start my load development. I'm interested to see how this thing shoots, though I may go ahead and break the barrel in while waiting on new rings.20200528_185129.jpg

Cool. Let us know how it works out. You may want to consider shooting with the barrel contact just for funsies before altering the stock. It may shoot fine that way, but it will likely need to be trimmed. The hogues aren’t known for having the stiffest forearms.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mthunter137
Back