Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Fillet knife of choice?

• Thread starter Deleted member 38069
  • Start date
Put me down as a lover of Rapalas. I bought 4 or 5 at a gun show for $10 for all of them. Plus I had one or two already.

Lately, I sharpen mine with a Gatco sharpening system at 15 degrees. I think this is probably too shallow and will probably go back to 19 degrees for a more durable edge.

I'm more interested what sort of angle you put on your filet knives when sharpening.

I've used a lot of Rapala knives- both black rubber & wooden handle. Preference is for 6" on panfish and smaller catfish, a 4" fillet knife for small panfish/perch that you'd like to fillet. 7.5" knife is preferred on trout, pike, and walleye, but I'd also give the nod to a stiffer blade/straight boning knife for those, as you need to break through the ribs. 9" for salmon, for sure, and for skinning pike & large catfish fillets.

I have some of the Kershaw fillet knives in 7.5" right now, and I feel like the steel is just a little too soft- the edge is rolling over more than chipping- it's not ideal for rib-breaking on walleye, but it works well enough. They do well enough for boning out ungulates, but still prefer a 6" curved semi-flex Victorinox for that.

19 degree blade angle is a good one for fillet knives- this isn't a pocket knife/field dress/gutless method knife, so you can stand a low angle since it doesn't have the same demand on it.

Best knife was a custom one with deer antler from a ferrier in SE Missouri- I wish I knew what steel he used, because that knife will take & hold an edge like nothing I've ever seen. It held up at much lower angles than 19 (never measured it, but it was noticeably lower than a Rapala).

Buck folding fillet knives aren't bad in 5-6", I don't like the handles on Forschner/Dexter (even though it's industry standard), and I feel like Rapala gives the best value, as long as you keep up with honing the blade.

Put me in the cheap rapala group.
I did buy my wife a bubba blade recently but it will most likely be used for trimming for game meat than fish

Rapala 6" superflex is all I'll ever need around here. Didn't work very well on FL Sheepshead though, those things are extremely tough! Any suggestions for getting through Sheepshead hide?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Norcaldive
Back