Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Fence jumping dog. Any solutions?

We had a scotty that used to get out of the yard regular when I was younger. He learned to climb the fence like us kids did. My dad ran a single strand of stainless steel noninsulated wire above the fence. He used insulators to hold the wire away from the fence itself. Only took a day and that scotty avoided the fence entirely after that.

My dogs could hear when the transformer for the electric fence was on or off and adjusted their shenanigans to correspond.
The remote shock collars are extremely effective and just waving them in front of the dog had immediate responses. Don't leave the shock collars on too long or they will get used to wearing them and eventually flinch off the shocks.
I tried positive discipline and it worked on a limited basis, but bad behavior would return within a day or two.
Weimaraners are beautiful creatures, but God's punishment towards man for domesticating canines. I'd adopt a boat full of Zimbabwe refugees before I ever brought another weimaraner home.

RIP you beautiful a holes

We have adopted a at least 2 year old dog a couple years ago. Let’s call her 4 now. A small wire hair pointer of some breed, probably Griffon. The family that had her before us said she could get out of a 6ft fence. We’ve grown to believe that. She clears our 4’ chain link with no problem or hesitation. I k ow she’s gotten increasingly bored and doesn’t expend enough energy, as with an 8 month old baby at home, my wife and I are pretty busy. Any advice, tips, tricks, etc?

We have started to try using a cheap collar on her and buzzing her when she heads for the corner she normally jumps from, but the battery only lasts a couple hours so we end up putting on/taking off, every time she needs to go out.

Coming down to Denver anytime soon? I removed all the electric fencing wire that was around our house when we moved in, maybe 200' of wire is left, the Patriot solar panel, and some insulators and gate connectors. You can have it, I think all you'd need is a collar and ground rod.

Otherwise, maybe buy her a pile of chew toys so she doesn't feel the need to leave the yard when you're there, our dogs love the big beachball-sized ones people use for their horses, and a chain link kennel with a lid for when you're not home.

Last edited:
Thank you for all the helpful advice given here. We’ve stayed diligent with the collar for right now and it seems to be working. Just more hassle into our routine for right now. Worth it though if she quits jumping.

My sport-dog on level 9 would prevent that dog from ever jumping that fence again. Guarantee it.

Back