Fence crossing, barbs in the fancy pants

Dakotakid

Anyone have a simple hack or habit that protects the sensitive parts from barb wire fences?

My Mantra of “don’t hook my pants, don’t hook my pants” has not been successful at avoiding area damage.

I had considered carrying a leather kerchief or maybe a chunk of pvc with a shaved side?

Better options, besides elevator shoes or growing taller.

Anyone have a simple hack or habit that protects the sensitive parts from barb wire fences?

My Mantra of “don’t hook my pants, don’t hook my pants” has not been successful at avoiding area damage.

I had considered carrying a leather kerchief or maybe a chunk of pvc with a shaved side?

Better options, besides elevator shoes or growing taller.
Crawl under?

I've taken every conceivable path through a barbed wire fence and only occasionally get stuck these days. Either find a spot where there's a larger gap at the bottom and go under or use gloves to push (gently) down on the bottom wire and slide through.

I’ve thought about packing a small carpet square as a glassing pad on hunts where I know I’m going to need to cross a lot of fences. Never pulled the trigger. I usually try to go over at a post of fence is tight, low spot if it’s not, and occasionally go under but that has caught me more often than others.

Hmmm, I grew up on a ranch with fences. Takes a pretty good night of drinking for me to get stuck. Practice? Sit pad?

I grew up on ranch, super tight fences at 36” inseam still catch a barb often

At the beginning of the season, I pick one pair of pants that will be sacrificed. This (un)lucky pair of pants lets the others live a happy hole-and-tear-free life for another year.

Thanks, brave pants, you have enriched the life of your brothers.

This spot has a block management box by the gate but a no parking within x ft. The parking area is quarter mile down fence but no gate. I considered buying and leaving the arch ladders for others.

I try not to climb on or damage ranchers fences that are good hearted enough to offer public access.

It happens that I'm fairly tall, with long legs. There are many things that cause frustration, crossing fences isn't one of them.

If a fence is pretty tight, I look for posts that are set a bit further apart than their neighbors.

Opening and, even worse, closing tight gates is more of a pia than swinging a leg over a fence.

Back