Feeling that itch

Akcabin

The fireweed has finished out. Getting cooler n darker out. The salmon are running out. Rains a lot. Moose hunting season is just around the corner. I am dealing with a neck injury and couldn't get out much last year. Man that kinda hurts.
Still dealing with the neck issues, it's broken in 2 spots. When the surgeon asked when I wanted to get things fixed up , after moose season for me.
Moose is probably more secondary to just getting out though. I haven't had much opportunity. Gotta scratch that itch.
I am blessed that I can get out to our cabin. Nice having the warm dry bed, coffee perked on the woodstove. Sit on the front porch n do moose calls is actually pretty effective. But going for a little walk about still hunting is a favorite. The chances of seeing moose is there and so are the bears, wolves and terrain. I regularly get lost in the bush several ways. Just focusing on the environment I'm in, marvel at the unique trees. Searching out chaga for harvesting next winter. Identifying the plants around me.
I have to say that having the luxury of a cabin makes life easier, good thing as I get older n more worn. And being in remote ak looking up Mt Denali. Makes for a nice place to be. And the experience of building it throughout many years has given me experience in the bush that has helped scratch the itch.
Hey I'm blessed to have my family around me who all work together. I've got a itch for taking our daughter out to call in her first moose harvest. Hopefully she'll let me bring our 5 year old grandson out. And a week with my beautiful wife would be great.
We're kinda set up so we can handle a moose out there now so that opens up my opportunity. Daughter n me freighted out a freezer last spring. And I have an air conditioner in the insulated generator shed as a cooler. A couple wheelers with winches n pulleys. Hey I'm kinda gimped up but hopefully planned out.
And an itch to just get out. Nothing but me n the world. Drop me off n let me go. Hey all, hope I haven't gone to long in the tooth. But man it was kinda rough not getting out last year n that itch is driven. I can find very little things in life that compare. When that little bush plane drops me off. As soon as the first float lifts the world around me becomes surreal. I'm all I got. The mountains surrounding me lift a spirit inside me. The quiet. And walking up to that little cabin in the woods. Where my beautiful wife n me staked our land 20 years ago. Looking forward to this day back then. And has taken up a substantial amount of our lives makes me feel proud to have a place to share with family n close friends. Hoping the bears haven't gotten in . Remove the bear boards off the porch. Grab a chair. Take a little sip of whiskey. I'm home. Ain't no place like home
A place for friends this fireside place. No matter where that fire is. Man I got this itch

Attachments

• 09E7C847-A67E-4254-84C1-CD839F855A40.jpeg
    09E7C847-A67E-4254-84C1-CD839F855A40.jpeg
    252.7 KB · Views: 31
  • 79C64E49-44AB-4251-9912-26755EAED3C8.jpeg
    79C64E49-44AB-4251-9912-26755EAED3C8.jpeg
    150 KB · Views: 30
  • 20210317_114745.jpg
    20210317_114745.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 30
That is incredible. I believe those kid if places are a rarity today

I always love your posts and your pictures! Alaska is a beautiful place.

Eh Dave, your a crack up man. Wish your willow cabin would have worked out. You'd have a trail up to the Talkeetna mtns in your backyard.
Yeah. This is a very special place. The local wildlife has grown up with me there so they know me. Silly wolves always leave me a fresh turd on the corner of a freight sled. Got stuck one winter at a trailhead. Still there. I went back n got a box of snares, traps I was freighting out. Seasoned it proper to. Full of wolf scent.
I enjoy sitting on the pond out front. Moms pond. In those little spruce trees. Ground blind. 58" no typical 1400# plus huge bull I called in from there for our son's first moose.
I sit there after dark n watch the world of the local wildlife wake up n go get a cool drink. Visit a bit n get busy staying alive. It's real nice to watch. I get to watch year round or every season anyhows. And have gotten to witness n hear things that most will only dream of. I'm not bragging folks. But I'm proud.
Blessed to have the opportunity to, rare opportunity, to be able to go out and stake 20 acres of land. Remote land. Surrounded by a kazillion acres of public lands to explore n learn n grow. Feel good n heal from the city. Our home is kinda at the end of the road anyhows. Moose are usually hanging out. Little bull been hanging out lost antlers near. I'll find them with the fabulous Chesapeake Bay Retriever I've taught to hunt up moose antlers. Ruby is such a sweetheart.
The cabin. What a journey in life. I did it n had a bawl. Hey having to leave your beautiful wife that was born with her feet twisted around the back of her legs never allowed her to be able to walk much. But a tough Alaskan chick that's real pretty.
Having to look her in the eye. Tell her I have to leave her here by herself. And having to have the confidence to leave her offda that kinda makes you such it up buttercup. You're beautiful wifes life depends on it situation. Middle of nowhere Alaska. Any time of the year. Real deal stuff. Like 5 plus times at least. Actually I just mentioned it to her a few days ago. Got a kick. She said it kinda got her upset but in different words. I thought she liked it, huh I had a bawl. Oofda focus man, feels great. We well me, don't use electronics. Can't depend on them, weight. Weren't around when I grew up in the 60s. Never got into electronics. Just not my bag.
Beautiful wife bought me a 45 to carry. I always have 40 years anyhows carried my 80 buck high standard break down pistol. Made the rear site using a rear from a 10/22. Same dove tail. Brass shim on bottom snugs it up nicely. Filed down. My gun .in my ditty bag I always have.
I've been able to fly around in a Robinson 44 looking at salmon n bear. Cruising all over prince William sound. Man one summer solstice eve. Glass, mirror glass water. Midnight. Silver salmon hitting, jumping fighting. Fresh in the ocean tough. Cooler are packed. Families have fresh salmon for the year. Halibut, golden eyes. Ocean fishing. Whales breaching all around. Pack a orcas cruise near checking us out n saying hey. Huge bull with huge dorsal fin laying over. Porpoise follow the boat. Chugiak mtns glare in a mirror image. Living the dream man.
But I like the land. I live to look around the next tree. Go wherever it looks nice. Could be a bull moose wallow in willow thickets on a bear trail. Or sitting on a hillside not ever sat on. Watch the world, learn.
Sitting on the front deck. Daughter rebuild carb fuel pump on wheeler. I do moose calls n bang on stuff, RnR near. Throw peanuts to the spruce hens that hang around the cabin. Our wild chicken per say. Eating bugs n shrews n mice too. Never had a mouse in cabin. They eat rocks n dust. Use it for cover during rain . Imagine a family or 2 of grouse clucking around under the cabin. Hilarious. For what it's worth. She got the wheeler running n brought my ol broken body to the lake for flying out. My surprise our son on board. They planned to stock the wood for the winter for me. They got back to cabin. 45 inch bull standing next to meat locker. We had to buy an extra freezer already so they said hello cut wood. He kinda hung around n split.
I'm so proud of them.
Been a blessed life but a hard life at times. Had to hunt fish big garden small livestock for different protien n furtalizer for a balanced tilth in the soil.
Most, when that little bush plane on floats drops me on remote lake no cabins. Nothing but me ak. I watch that little plane, gone. Look up , north towards the cabin 2 miles away. Mt Denali in full glory, Talkeetna mtns, AK range, all of it. I'm at the base of Denali. In a wild world that has excepted me n my family. We respect each. I can sit by a pond, watch their world. We gather our drinking water from the same pond to nourish us. Can climb into a warm bed, beautiful wife by my side. Listen. The local wolf pack is taking down a moose. It bawls. The wolves mix up the frenzy. Pack mentality takes over. I get to listen. Beautiful wife by my side.
Meet the plane, go back to,a different world. As a kinda different guy. Man that sure feels nice 4

Eh maybe you n randy can come out n hang around the burn some day. My beautiful wife doesn't like me going out by myself. Been going all over ak goofing off. But eh I love her. And she just usually goes with. Like who doesn't want to go hang in a really nice log cabin in the middle of nowhere Alaska with a pretty ak chick. I'm all in brother. Hope that the weather turns bad enough to keep the planes grounded more. Happens a lot. You'll have that yeeee haaaaa, thank you Good Lord days
That part don't include U

I sure would love to visit and shoot the chit. Unfortunately, my travel days are over. Can't leave the wife and can't take her along. Stuck. Damn. Your place sounds like paradise and I hope you enjoy it for many more years to come!

Yeppers, actually I'm setup for handicapped. Just have to be able to get into the plane. I have wheelers for transportation and building another swamp buggy for hauling folks. My beautiful wife is handicapped also foot issues. She still has anticipation issues getting started. But after about 1 minute being out n she's all in.

My wife is paralyzed from the upper chest down and I need a lift to move her in and out of her wheelchair. Can't haul that around. We get by here at home. One day at a time.

Oh yeah, know that feeling. Kinda can be just the next breath please Good Lord. Yeah tough stuff. I'm putting a chair lift in. 12v winch for a wheeler n some angle iron. 2 story cabin. Indoors bathroom.
A healing place for me

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back