Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Federal B.O.R.LOCK ammunition

Thanks, I bought some BH 209 too. Do you do a 100 yard zero?
I zero at 150, but I am using a max load of BH and getting about 1950 FPS with BOR Lock 270 Trophy Copper. Personally I think a 100 yard zero leaves about 50-75 yards of MPBR on the table and I think it's awfully nice to not have to think about hold over until about 200 yards.

With BH I think your ignition will fail before the bullet gets too hard to load. I never spit patch with BH and if I'm not mistaken, they advise against it.

I've done 10 shots with no issues, the BOR Locks load as easy on the 10th shot with BH as the first. However, I've never went over 10 consecutive shots without a hangfire. I have a drill bit that fits the flash hole and a torch cleaner that fits the flash channel. I clean them both up every 5 shots and have been successful extending between cleanings. I have a spare breech plug and if I can't do a thorough cleaning, I swap plugs for shot 11.

Thanks man. How often do you have to clean the flash hole? Would after 15-20 shots be okay if using BlackHorn209? Sorry for all the questions.
yes. I usually clean it after about 10 shots, but rarely do I shoot more than that at a single range session anyway. So it's part of my cleaning process. But it's easy enough to do right there on the shooting bench too.

What solvent do you use for the flash hole?
I use a drill bit and a torch tip cleaner. Every 5 shots. No need to remove the breech plug. .125 for the bit and .029 for the tip cleaner.

I also zero at 150yd (peep sight) 290gr TMZ at 1915 avg. At 150 I use a Navy hold, which is the center of the bullseye on the top edge of the sight. At 200yds I hit dead center of the sight. Works well for me.

I don't think Steven Rinella is a huge fan of B.O.R. Locks after his CO elk hunt last year. But to be fair, squaring up an elk shoulder with any muzzleloader projectile is a recipe for disaster. You're just not going to get that level of penetration from a low sectional density bullet. Well you might from a 600gr No Excuses, maybe, but then you're shooting lead and will probably need to find a good ortho surgeon to put your shoulder back together after the recoil.

My concern with the B.O.R. Locks is the same thing that people praise them for; ease of loading. Ease of loading also means ease of moving off your powder charge, leading to a misfire or squib at best. Blackhorn 209 especially needs some seating pressure to ignite properly. If you're only going to load right before your stalk I guess that would address that concern, or at least reseat the projectile when starting your stalk.

I don't think Steven Rinella is a huge fan of B.O.R. Locks after his CO elk hunt last year. But to be fair, squaring up an elk shoulder with any muzzleloader projectile is a recipe for disaster. You're just not going to get that level of penetration from a low sectional density bullet. Well you might from a 600gr No Excuses, maybe, but then you're shooting lead and will probably need to find a good ortho surgeon to put your shoulder back together after the recoil.

My concern with the B.O.R. Locks is the same thing that people praise them for; ease of loading. Ease of loading also means ease of moving off your powder charge, leading to a misfire or squib at best. Blackhorn 209 especially needs some seating pressure to ignite properly. If you're only going to load right before your stalk I guess that would address that concern, or at least reseat the projectile when starting your stalk.
I don’t have any direct experience to confirm or deny this theory, but I have loaded them before. They still take some pressure to load but not so much you need to swab between. I really don’t think they’d move much with just regular hiking/walking around with the barrel pointed up. Maybe, just maybe it could unseat if you drop your gun hard on the ground. But again, just guessing here.

I get great accuracy from the B.O.R. 350gr (lead) bullets. Here's my setup: Traditions Strikerfire LDR, 350gr B.O.R. bullet, 115gr Blackhorn 209, CCI Magnum primers, Vortex 4-12x40 scope, zeroed at 150 yds. Last time out shooting, I put 3 rds in a 1" group, shooting from bench rest. Fired two, then quick barrel swab, then fired the third round. Upper right of target is the first three shots, made scope adjustment and fired two more (left of 1st group).BOR shots.png Temp 50deg, elev 4800ft, humidity approx 20%. I arrived at this setup after spend a lot of time and money on various powder and bullet combinations. I haven't tried any sabots - nothing against them, I just haven't tried them yet. FYI, as far as reloading, I have fired as many as 8-10 rounds without swabbing the barrel - this powder and bullet combo seams to fire cleanly. Really easy cleanup afterwards too.

I guess I got lucky with my barrel and the BOR 350gr bullets. They load somewhat easy - I can seat them without a short starter, but they don't just slide down the barrel. So there is enough friction to keep them firmly in place while I'm walking around, without risk of losing contact with the 209 I have loaded. FYI, my barrel measures .502" dia.

I've got 2 that measure .503 and one .504. I did a drop test from 1 foot onto a 2x4 with the .504 and it moved the projectile about 1/2". I always re-seat as I start my final stalk anyway, but for me I'd rather just pick another option.

How often do you clean the barrel when using BOR lock with Blackhorn 209 powder?
I've shot as many as 10 before cleaning the barrel. I could probably go longer than that, but it just didn't feel right. They got only a little more difficult to load; the short starter was needed after about 5-6 rounds. Cleanup was very easy afterwards. FYI, I shoot the 350gr version of BOR (all lead).

I have a cva optima I was running bh 209 with Powerbelts and getting good ignition I switched to bor locks with bh 209 and can’t get it it to work at all I can pick up the bor lock a few feet out of the barrel laying on the ground I have tried multiple brands of 209 primers and made sure the breech plug is clean with no luck Curious if anyone else has had these issues

I have a cva optima I was running bh 209 with Powerbelts and getting good ignition I switched to bor locks with bh 209 and can’t get it it to work at all I can pick up the bor lock a few feet out of the barrel laying on the ground I have tried multiple brands of 209 primers and made sure the breech plug is clean with no luck Curious if anyone else has had these issues
Did the BOR lock feel snug going down the barrel? I wonder if your barrel is too large and the bullet can't seat properly. Could be that your gun doesn't like BORs. I shot some THOR bullets this weekend with really good results. Maybe try those?

Did the BOR lock feel snug going down the barrel? I wonder if your barrel is too large and the bullet can't seat properly. Could be that your gun doesn't like BORs. I shot some THOR bullets this weekend with really good results. Maybe try those?
It goes in pretty easy But doesn’t just drop down I’ll look into THOR

It goes in pretty easy But doesn’t just drop down I’ll look into THOR
Get their sizing kit to determine the right bullet. Mine measured .502, but it was a little too snug. I'll probably order some more in .501 for comparison. (shooting Traditions Strikerfire LDR).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back