Caribou Gear Tarp

Favorite Tree?

Benjamins

OK, probably a lame topic for most. But I have become enthralled with planting trees lately. Maybe I'm weird for having favorite trees but I really dig bur oak, scotch pine and more recently started to plant some catulpas. Anyone else like to plant random trees and/or have any favorites?

It’s hard to pick a favorite but a swamp chestnut is definitely my favorite to bow hunt over. Northern red oaks seem to be a turkey treat in the fall and winter.
Long leaf and short leaf pine are some of my favorite due to their fire tolerance and the plant communities that are associated with them and frequent fire.

When I was a teenager and went fishing with my grandparents they would have me climb Catulpa trees in a neighbors yard and shake off the worms off to get for catfish bait. They are both gone now and I planted six of them in my back pasture. There about 10 feet tall. I also have a white pine I planted with my oldest daughter and a eastern cedar I planted with my youngest both were in the first grade at the time. The pine is 21 years old and the cedar is 14 years old. Nice reminder of good times.

I like lots of them. Aspen is near the top of my list for shear beauty.
White oak for it's strenth and utlility.
Blue Spruce for aesthetics.
Sugar maples are beautiful too.
There were trees in Russia that had the colorations of aspens but much larger and almost the shape of a red oak. I think to date they are the most beautiful tree I have seen. Saw a few in the wetter portions of Afghanistan also.

OK, probably a lame topic for most. But I have become enthralled with planting trees lately. Maybe I'm weird for having favorite trees but I really dig bur oak, scotch pine and more recently started to plant some catulpas. Anyone else like to plant random trees and/or have any favorites?
This spring I planted 6 bur oak and 7 river birch. I love quaking aspen but don't want to plant them in my yard because of the starts they send out.

I think mesquite looks pretty cool when it's allowed to grow old. Their branches and trunks are so crazy and unpredictable. They grow in all directions. There is one specific mesquite tree that comes to mind, it's by the deer blind on my grandfather's property.

Whenever I go home to Indiana in the fall I realize how much I miss hardwoods in general.....but ESPECIALLY hickory and sycamore. The smell of a cool hardwood forest is engrained in my mind from youth. Now it is even more so because of hunting.

I'm glad a few others are tree nerds. A few year we had to cut down a huge bur oak along the river. We counted 195 rings. Nothing compares to the redwoods some of you have, but i thought that was pretty neat that its older than my home state. If you counted back you could see the rings super close together during the 30s droughts.

Douglas fir. Actually, they aren't a fir tree. Sort of a unique species. Tough and adaptable. This one at the continental divide near Dillon must have been around when the Declaration of Independance was signed.20211028_150155.jpg

I'm always in awe when I see giant ponderosas. Planted a cherry tree and dwarf blue spruce last year.

I like the way the wind blows through a white pine and how it smells after a summer rain. I imagine the stories an old oak could tell. Shagbark hickories fascinate me as well.

Here in the Midwest for me its White oak & shagbark hickory, mainly because my property is full of mature of both. When I'm out west hunting there's many trees and smells that intrigue me, I need to learn the species of trees out west, I can't keep them straight.

I love trees. Been planting them my whole life. Grew tens of thousands for the Parks dept. Literally.

Since moving to NM I am limited in what I can plant and what will grow. Not much besides pinion pine and juniper grows here naturally. 25 mi south dozens of trees thrive.
I have planted dozens in 13 years and have a handful that have survived after building an elk fence.
6 heirloom apples are finally growing, a couple apricots and plums. 2 aspens out of half a dozen. A purple locust will shade the west side along with a honey locust and a NM locust I started from seed.
My new plan is to take advantage of the wetland I created by replacing the windmill pump with solar and plant narrowleaf cottonwood, willow and aspen near the tanks. Wild plums, cherries and such too. In cages made from drill pipe. Elk eat everything.

Every year I plant at least a couple trees on properties we own. This year I did crabapple and river birch.

I grew up in the Ozarks so my all time favorites would have to be red oak for the fireplace and white oak to stand under. Quartersawn white oak is my favorite for fine furniture as well.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back