Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Favorite Edible Plants Of The Backcountry ?

Sytes

Service berries, strawberries and raspberries Huckleberries are great for eating as is or making a rough marmalade.

Wild Onions are fantastic placed inside trout and wrapped in Aluminum foil. Soak the stalks(?) flip the foil wrapper in the fire-coals after a bit. The liquid and the water really infuses the onion flavor into the trout.

Stinging nettle is pretty darn good spinach like side for trout (boiled).

Favorites?

Can’t walk past raspberries without going to town. Blackberries are a no go for me. Too many seeds. Wish I was better at identifying plants so I wasn’t worried about eating them. We always used to eat wintergreen berries as well.

I like to forage. Ramps and morels in the springtime, oyster mushrooms and blackberries in the summer, chicken of the woods in august and September.
For greens I like to do nettles in the early spring, dandelions, plantain and catttails are good too. Woods Sorel to give fish a lemony flavor is fun. Sumac lemonade in the fall is a hit with the kids. In the winter I like to pick watercress for a nice fresh green salad.

I've thrown collected wild berries Into the really enjoyable (and simple as hell) Mountain House granola meals.

@Gatekeeper 's comment about wild blueberries in pancakes @ camp prompted that thought.

At 21 I hiked from the east glacier train station, up to Cameron Lakes (Canada) and back down West glacier. Picked up the train and continued on my journey. 260 some miles, over a month hiking with "undesignated camp permits". Many occasions, I ran into campers leaving and unloading food weight. Only had to hike out four occasions to replenish and gain new permits.
One of my favorite meets was with a Sierra Club group. We had amazing complete wild salads, etc! I contributed trout.
While my thoughts of the Club itself are not too favorable, that memory is one of my most enjoyable parts to that trip.

Run on. Apologies. Great memories re-kindled.

Huckleberries, thimble berries, wild stawberries inland, and blackberries along the coast

I’ve probably missed a few opportunities at black bears and moose because I was to busy scarfing down blueberries in Ak and not paying attention. In college when I worked in the BWCA I would pick blueberries and a girl at the outfitters would have pies and muffins made by the next day!

I would like to go to the desert and pick prickly pear cactus fruit sometime. We actually have them here but I’ve never seen them produce a viable fruit.

We have tons of wild plums and apples in the woods.

Huckleberries are also my favorite but I've been enjoying elderberries the last couple years. Even started marking them on my map when I'm hiking around.
I suck at finding morels but they sure are a treat!

Wild onions with trout over the campfire ... delicious!
Morels sautéed in butter over wild elk tenderloin, with a pinch of garlic ... scrumptious table fare!
Huckleberries with ice cold freshly filtered high fast mountain stream water ... nothing more refreshing!

Growing up we ate Indian turnips but the tops are probable dried off by now making it difficult to find.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmich05
Back