Favorite caliber for coyotes and bobcats

Pecos

I generally use a 22-250AI with a 60 grain vmax or a 75 grain amax out to bout 350-400 yards. If I think I will be shootin beyond that, as in across wheat fields, I switch to my 6.5-06AI with 95 grain vmax. Since cats usually come in closer I use a 12ga loaded with BB's or #4 buck.

I've used a 22-250, several .243's, and a few other calibers for them. Right now I'm using a Ruger M77 MKII in .223 and I like it. Easy on fur, accurate and fun to shoot, and ammo/brass are cheap to get. If I'm calling open country sometimes I take my .243.

I used everything from a 22mag on up to a 300 win mag and shotguns. the preffernce all depends where I am hunting.. if I am up in the high desert I use my .243 or 220 swift.. If I am in thick stuff its my ar-15 or aprils .223 in a 700bdl.. When up in seligman or in the north kaibab I bring my .300 winmag and my .243 for long shots over 500 yards...
Also use a shotgun sometimes

Delw

Just bought me a new varmint rig this weekend, got a Howa 1500 in 223 cal, shot it saturday and its a shooter. Just need to get a yote with it now.

Howdy Outlaw,
I'm glad to see you posting here. I know you have lots of varmint hunting experiences to share because I've been reading your posts for years on other boards. Stop back often ;).
Doug

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 02-28-2002 18:46: Message edited by: Doug ]</font>

I shoot a Ruger 243 improved, with 70 grain nosler bullets. You might thinks these heavy loads might blow up a pelt, but actually they leave real small holes.

Hi folks.
This is my first time at this site. Just registered today, and it looks like a great place to visit.
My two favorite guns for coyotes are my Rem. 700 bdl, in .243, and an old Chech. Brno Mauser in .22 Hornet. They both do a pretty good job.
In about three weeks, my son and I will go on our first dog hunt together. Both of us can hardley wait. :D

Welcome aboard John! Nice to see another Eastern hunter in varmint forum. Hunting with your kids? That's what it's all about.;)
Doug

Right now I hunt coyotes with my .243 loaded with 87 grain bullets. I am glad to see so many of you hunting with a .223 I am looking to get me one before this fall. I've had too many people try and talk me into a 22-250 (which I wouldn't mind) but the ammo and brass in .223 are so much cheaper. Happy hunting.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back