Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Favorite Arrow?

TheBenHoyle

OK, so I think I am creating a baseball player-esque superstition in that even though I have 6 hunting arrows in my quiver, I always reach for good old number 3 first. I have taken two deer and a squirrel with my bow and it has always been with my #3 arrow. I suppose I could start using a different arrow, they all seem to fly just fine when I shoot them. But I know that #3 is a proven winner, so why would I grab any other arrow?

I know it is silly, but I was just curious if anyone else out there has a favorite arrow, or if they set arrows aside after they have been successful with them.

I never retire a good arrow until there is no other option! I’ve never had a “favorite arrow” that lasted too terribly long. Now I typically just grab which ever one is closest to me in the quiver. In long years past My brother and I always used to play a game to see just how many deer we could shoot with one arrow. He got to 10 deer kills with one arrow once, I never could make it past 6, the 6th deer would always break it somehow! I’ve gotten to 6 deer/pigs multiple times just changing the broad head or blades. To do that you’ve got to be really careful with shot placement. Now it seems kinda silly to me to do that since we’re so over run with pigs, they’re heck on arrows so keeping an arrow intact long enough to be favored is problematic!

I never retire a good arrow until there is no other option! I’ve never had a “favorite arrow” that lasted too terribly long. Now I typically just grab which ever one is closest to me in the quiver. In long years past My brother and I always used to play a game to see just how many deer we could shoot with one arrow. He got to 10 deer kills with one arrow once, I never could make it past 6, the 6th deer would always break it somehow! I’ve gotten to 6 deer/pigs multiple times just changing the broad head or blades. To do that you’ve got to be really careful with shot placement. Now it seems kinda silly to me to do that since we’re so over run with pigs, they’re heck on arrows so keeping an arrow intact long enough to be favored is problematic!
That's great. I suppose with more experience I will realize that all of my arrows are as useful and it has more to do with my efforts to make a good shot and less to do with the individual arrow I use.

I don't necessarily have a favorite arrow but the one I always pull is the one farthest away from me when a shot opportunity happens first. I usually put the one that won the spin test with no wobble in that location in my quiver.

The only thing I do is number them just to know which ones group the best. Out of every bunch of arrows I've had there always seems to be one or two that I just can't tune to match the rest.

I have my 6 in the quiver numbered, after it’s released on an animal, it’s “test fired” again before I’d hunt with it again. Just make sure it didn’t hit a bone hard or deflect of something to knock out the concentricity

Just to cap off this thread. Good old number 3 did it again Friday on a doe in Ohio. That's the 4th deer it has taken. Sadly it is also the last. Number 3 got hung up on the offside shoulder and snapped off inside and went to that big quiver in the sky.

I guess I am going to have to train up a replacement...

Yes and no. I number all my arrows when I build them and while shooting throughout the year a top 3 will emerge. Out of those 3, 1 ends up being mu first arrow. I use it first until season is over or I break it.

I like to cycle through different arrows each sit because I want to keep the wear on the broadhead sharpness equal. Like rotating tires. Almost certainly pointless but who knows.
Not pointless, and I need to implement this. I usually pull out the first one closest to me every time and put it back in the same slot. This certainly dulled my brand new broadheads and led to a non lethal shot on an elk. I certainly believed penetration was ruined Soley because of this. I also need to add its 4 blades not 3 and in a 6 spot quiver. This wouldn’t have happened with my 5 spot quiver, or 3 blade heads…

I dont have a favorite arrow but I have a broadhead that always seems to get sharper than the others, whatever arrow it is on is arrow number 1

I have a favorite..its an axis 5mm with a 50 grain brass insert and a 100 grain viper trick that has been sent through two 6x6 bulls no worse for the wear...something tells me its not done yet either!

I spend enough time to get my arrows the same, so it really doesn’t matter which one I grab. I like it that way.
Had a VPA head that I tried to keep track of for a while. After 4 deer and a hog, lost track of it.
My favorite arrow is the one I took my first bear with. A 2317 XX78 with a 175 Snuffer. Still have it and still has the blood and string tracker clip on it.

Number all of my arrows, and this year #7 got the call each time. I just "felt" that it always went right where I wanted it to. Purely mental for me..

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back