Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Fatasses killing poor defenseless butterfies

Ithaca 37

RENO, Nevada (AP) -- Conservationists sued the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service on Thursday seeking protection for a rare butterfly they say is threatened by off-road vehicles at one of the largest sand dunes in the West.

Environmentalists want the agency to declare the Sand Mountain blue butterfly an endangered species because, they say, its habitat is being destroyed at the only place it is known to live -- the Sand Mountain Recreation Area in western Nevada.

The Bureau of Land Management controls activities at the dune, which is 600 feet tall and stretches for two miles. It attracts an estimated 50,000 off-roaders annually on motorcycles, dune buggies and all-terrain vehicles.

The lawsuit, filed in federal court in Sacramento, California, accuses the agency of violating the Endangered Species Act by failing to respond to petitions since April 2004 seeking federal protection for the butterfly. The act requires the government to provide a preliminary response to such petitions within 90 days and often again within a year.

Plaintiffs accuse the Bureau of Land Management of pandering to off-roaders.

"It's a stall tactic coming out of hostile politics in Washington," said Daniel Patterson, a desert ecologist for Arizona's Center for Biological Diversity, which is suing along with the Nevada Outdoor Recreation Association and Public Employees for Environmental Responsibility.

Bob Williams, Nevada supervisor for the Fish and Wildlife Service, blamed lack of money for the agency's inaction.

"We only get a certain amount of money a year to do listing findings," Williams said. Most of it was spent on sage grouse and pygmy rabbit reviews in the past two years, he said.

The Fish and Wildlife Service hopes to spend about $35,000 on a 90-day review -- probably beginning in June -- to determine whether there is enough evidence to warrant a full, yearlong review of the butterfly, Williams said.

"We do know the butterfly is there, and we haven't been able to find it at any other location," he said.

The butterfly depends on a unique shrub, the Kearney buckwheat, which covers about 1,000 of the recreation area's 4,795 acres. It is found nowhere else.

The Fish and Wildlife Service and the Bureau of Land Management have been working with local groups to save the butterfly without necessarily listing it as endangered. Tentative plans call for more signs designating approved travel routes, fencing to protect the habitat and additional law enforcement.

Many off-roaders oppose a federal listing.

"If it did become listed, no telling what type of restrictions they could do out there," said Richard Hilton of Reno, a board member of the Friends of Sand Mountain, a group composed primarily of off-road enthusiasts.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/TECH/science/01/06/rare.butterfly.ap/index.html

I know the fatasses are going to say it's dune buggys and not ATVs doing the damage, but they're all the same thing, no matter what you call them. Motorized off road vehicles driven by fatassed louts who don't care how much they damage the environment.

Ithica, simple question here; Do you feel that all people who ride an off road vehicle, be it ATV or motorcycle, even in areas where it is legal and allowed are "fatasses" (and that includes the negatives you assume with that distinction)?

No, But most of them are. Very few, I'd say less than 20%, ride ATVs because they can cause less damage to dirt 4WD roads on an ATV. I think most ATV riders use them because they are lazy slobs and would rather ride around than walk and get some exercise. They completely disregard others desire to enjoy the peace and quiet of outdoor recreation and they enjoy making lots of noise and tearing around on a motorized vehicle. Motorcycle riders are a little different, because it does require some skill and fitness to ride a bike, but many of them ride for the pure joy of going fast and making lots of noise. They don't care how much they tear up the land.

Tone, What percentage of off road vehicle riders do you think are environmentally concious and truly are concerned about not disturbing other peoples enjoyment of the outdoors?

I'd have no real guess as to what number are environmentally concious. I know that I am in that group and I definitely know quite a few others that are as well, although I'd say we are the minority of riders. I just didn't want to be lumped into the "fatass" category and hoped you knew there were some of us how there that enjoy riding an ATV or motorcycle and really do care about the environment as well.

I know here in Eastern

Idaho there are a lot of places to go where atv'rs are not allowed ( and do not go ) pluss it just takes people to get off thier fatass and go hike .
I do not believe atv'rs should have free reign but they should have places to ride and recreate.
I do not own a atv and I do hunt where they are allowed , do I like being buzzed by after I have hiked 3-4 miles hell no but I have a choice to go somewhere elso or go where they cannot go .

Idaho Smiley,

You also have the choice to work to get the fat-assed ATV riders banned from the area you hike 3- 4 miles to get to. Start documenting the damage, the behavour, and the problems and start working with the F&G and FS to get them banned.

I believe there should be places and times for all to enjoy and for some that means using thier national land to ride then they should be able to ride in some places . For instance sand dunes a great place to let them guys ride all over as dunes shift and change so quickly that it is very hard to do to much damage .
I know that here in eastern Idaho the vast majority of atv'rs do abide by the proper trails and very few go off trail . Things are changing as a few years ago it was not the case trails were made everywhere and I think the change has come from self policing and that is the atv'rs themselves are confronting the abusers and getting thing taken care of .
Let them have some decent trails to enjoy but come down with the fury of a soon to be divorced woman ;) when the abuse the law .
Very few would be willing to take thier 5K$ machines off trail if they new they would loose it if caught , most would'nt chance it .
This thinking of ban all atv's is the same thinking why the quack enviro's say ban all gas ( fossil ) fuels .
Just does'nt make sense .
Jose I just dont care if those atv's go by as long as they stay to the trails and I believe thier should be trails . It allows many who cannot make it places do to health reasons and I dont mean those that have eating problems or just dont want to walk either.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCEAB
Back