Fallow buck

243varmint

We first spotted this buck about 3 weeks previously in a wheat field, he was with 4 other prickets and bucks. We noticed he was limping. We tried to stalk into them but were beaten by the weather and light.
So fast forward 3wks and the combine harvester is working the fields. The bailers following and loaders putting the bails on trailers.
Onto the last uncut field and I notice a heat source in the middle of the field.
Bins up and notice a tip of an antler moving. So I made my way along the headland to get set up to see if he would stand. He was now about 80yards away. I first saw him over 500yards away.
Now the combine was in the same field cutting the around the outside.
When the combine had done 3 sides and turned the buck stood up and offered a shot. With a good backstop and no machinery in a safe direction the 06 barked and down he went.
So now to drag him out before the combine gets to him.

Once out of the way, I found out why he was limping. The bottom half of one back leg was missing. Probably caught up on a fence at some point.
He weighed 133lb larder weight.

We don't normally take bucks like this, we try to leave them to mature a bit more.
IMG_20210818_202604.jpgIMG_20210818_202617.jpg

Right below that is the place for the lat/long coordinates of where you hunt! Incomplete work will not be accepted! J/K… nice buck👍🏻

Back