Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Eye Protection While Hunting - What Lenses Do You Use

Nitekast

On my pursuit to own practically every hunting item in existence (to my wife's dismay), I've been thinking of eye protection and all the different colored lenses that you can get with them. There seem to be conflicting opinions with different articles, but the one thing that seems commonplace is that certain tints can be more advantageous for hunting purposes.

Coming to this community for some more advice/opinions. What colored lenses (if any) do you guys prefer while hunting? Are the different tints appropriate in different situations, or is there a "silver bullet" that gives an advantage in all scenarios?

Thanks!

I just wear shades. And carry clear safety glasses for low light hiking and shooting.

I use tifosi frames and polarized lenses most of the time but when hunting I switch to a non polarized non mirror tinted lens.

The frames were around 60 bucks and replacement lens sets are 15 or so.

Some tints are advertised to make colors contrast more, not sure how noticeable it is for hunting or looking over a landscape but for looking into water it is definitely noticeable. Also your going to take your shades off to glass so any advantage with color contrast is going to be at a closer distance where you'd probably be just as well or better served without the shades for light to glint off of.

Ok so honest response....

In the west the greatest threat to your eyes is definitely the sun so sunglasses are a must, the rate of early cataracts is significantly higher out here than back east.

Most big game shooting is going to occur in low light, at dawn and dusk and shooting glasses will be an impediment, aside from pronghorn you probably won't be wearing glasses.

Bird hunting is a different story, for birds I would just take your normal sun glasses and then get a clear pair of safety glasses for low light situations or over cast days.

Appreciate all the responses and dog pictures guys! Non-related, but here's a picture of our dog camping.

Attachments

• 20190907_172113.jpg
    20190907_172113.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 2
Nothing. I can't stand having something covering my eyes while hunting, especially while looking through binos.

Nothing. I can't stand having something covering my eyes while hunting, especially while looking through binos.
Yep. Never worn any kind of eye protection while hunting. I didn't wear a helmet while horseback either. mtmuley

I buy Tifosi w/ 3 sets of lenses: clear, grey, and amber, depending on level of brightness from the sun

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back