Eye Protection in the field

Do you wear eye protection in the field?

• I always wear shooting/safety glasses in the field

Votes: 5 15.2%
  • I wear them for upland hunting but not big game

Votes: 2 6.1%
  • I wear standard sun glasses or prescription glasses

Votes: 9 27.3%
  • No eye protection in the field for me

Votes: 17 51.5%

• Total voters
I've never worn glasses for shooting. But when it's a hot boat ride in the dark I'll wear clear safety glasses. Nats and flys can get rough while running on the river.

Short story,

I got poked in the eye by a pine tree branch on Canada in 2010 about 30 seconds after shooting my moose.
It SEVERELY scratched my eye.
I butchered that moose with one eye closed in 24" of water.
I then used one of my friends contact lenses to act as a patch to help my eye heal. This is a trick an eye doctor told me years ago and it works well. Problem was he was blind as a bat so everything was blurry. But at least I wasnt in pain. 2 days later I took out the contact and my eye was much.

From that point on I never went to the field without glasses. I have ok vision but I like the added enhanced vision and I like protecting my eyes.

Glasses are a bit of a pain but they have saved my eyes 200 times since I started wearing them.

No right answer for me. I started wearing glass's some years back but before that nothing. You have any idea the probability of needing them? Think of all the rounds fired in a field situation over a year and how many mishaps with the eye? not very many! On a range I could see it possibly. maybe something come off the shooter next to you. But I haven't shot at a range in years and even then never had a problem. But if you believe you need them then I would encourage you to wear them. Really not that big a thing and if they don't bother you then they don't bother me.

I wear prescription glasses. Before them, I wore sunglasses (20 years ago) in the daytime, but nothing before dawn or after sunset.

I wear sunglasses when dove hunting but thats it. Otherwise no glasses for me. With that said, I did catch a branch in the eye a few years ago while walking to a stand and tore my lens which was not enjoyable so dont do what I do.

I've worn prescription glasses since I was 7 or 8 so I don't know what it's like NOT to wear glasses. There have been numerous times a branch has slapped against my glasses most likely saving me a nasty eye injury or at least a painful jab.
I've never seen any instances where wearing glasses saved someone at the range or target practicing. Though I'm sure it has happened before.

I wear prescription glasses and have had them save me from pokes on more than one occasion. Granted I would spend hours on horseback after dark while working as a guide. I've just recently gone back to using contacts after a severe eye ulcer years ago and will definitely be wearing eye protection when afield.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sept7872
Back