Eye Dominance Issues

HiMtnHntr

My 7 year old is left handed, but likes to use his right eye for aiming. I'm not sure how to help him without making him frustrated. Any advice? Thanks guys!

I personally had that issue but was lucky that from an early age I always brought a gun up on my right side without issue, just like it was the only way. If your son wears glasses by chance put a clear piece of tape over the right lens, otherwise I had a good friend that I helped in high school with the same problem, when he was young like your son he just leaned over the weapon and prayed, as he got older and had someone recognize the problem the only remedy was to learn to close his right eye or we used the tape trick on safety glasses and he finally enjoyed hitting the target, good luck.

Thanks. He's currently shouldering lefty and leaning over trying to sight with his right eye. He doesn't want to shoulder righty. He doesn't wear glasses but we could certainly try the tape on the safety glasses. His twin bro is like me, right handed, right eye dominant, no issues.

I'm currently having the same problem with my 8 year old step son, it is a little hard to do like you said without him getting frustrated

Both my boys are cross-dominant. Right handed, left eyed. They are being taught to shoot left handed. Even with their Nerf guns... So, my way around it was to follow the eyes. Some time with a BB gun showed the oldest how much better he shot left handed, even before he got comfortable that way.

Choose the dominant eye and have your kids shoulder the rifle to that eye. They'll never reach their shooting potential playing games to give preference for hand dominance.

What brymoore stated is what the experts have said for ages. Shoot from your dominant eye side, not what hand you use most.

My middle son is right handed and left eye dominate. He just started shooting his BB gun left handed and never looked back. He killed his first archery bull elk at age 12 shooting left handed.

I'm having the same issue with my 4 year old. I did some reading on the web about the subject. There's claims of go with whatever eye is dominant and others claim that eye dominance isn't even set in stone yet at young ages. What I did was try and get my 4 year old to shoot his bb gun left handed. He didn't want to do it, didn't like trying it and lost interest pretty much right away. Since the most important thing is keeping it fun I'm going to let him go with shooting right handed and try a cheap eye patch on his left eye and see how he does. He doesn't mind the view obstruction nearly as bad as trying to manipulate the bb gun left handed. If this works then we'll keep using it until he can learn to shoot with his left eye closed as he hasn't figured out how to wink his left eye yet either.

I just realized a year ago that I'm left I dominant and I shoot right. Not sure why I never noticed before but I use my left eye almost exclusively in the spotter. I'm too old to change now but I hope I don't lose my eyesight in that eye :)

I also found out as an adult that I was left eye dominant. It really doesn't matter much for shooting a rifle, but I figured it out pretty quickly when I started bird hunting. I think it would be a big advantage if I could keep both eyes open when bird hunting, however I have to close my left eye when I shoot. I'm not coordinated enough to shoot left handed.

I'm having the same issue with my 4 year old. I did some reading on the web about the subject. There's claims of go with whatever eye is dominant and others claim that eye dominance isn't even set in stone yet at young ages. What I did was try and get my 4 year old to shoot his bb gun left handed. He didn't want to do it, didn't like trying it and lost interest pretty much right away. Since the most important thing is keeping it fun I'm going to let him go with shooting right handed and try a cheap eye patch on his left eye and see how he does. He doesn't mind the view obstruction nearly as bad as trying to manipulate the bb gun left handed. If this works then we'll keep using it until he can learn to shoot with his left eye closed as he hasn't figured out how to wink his left eye yet either.

Don't do this! You're creating more problems instead of solving one. I'm an NRA certified rifle coach who has coached youth rifle for seven years. We test all kids eye dominance before they shoot. We have kids shoot for eye dominance. Kids will adapt to the new position in a few shots.

Furthermore, one of my sons is cross-dominant, left eye dominant, right handed. At age 13, he's an NRA Expert rifleman and 3/4s of the way to Distiguished Expert, shooting left handed. He's terror on game:

IMG_09095.JPG

#patchesareforpirates

Last edited:
Ok then if the kid doesn't "adapt" in a few shots and it becomes a nuisance instead of fun then what? Just let them quit or go back to what they know?

I am right eye dominant but left handed and have always shot left handed. My dad didn't think it was important much when I was a kid I guess. I have learned through the years to shoot left handed with my right eye closed. I have rarely ever missed a shot but I am certainly no marksmen. I wish I could go back and train myself to shoot right handed. I would probably be better off and it certainly would be a lot easier to find guns. I also shoot my bow left handed and haven't had to much trouble killing animals. The weird thing is I shoot a pistol right handed so you would think I could easily switch to a right handed gun. Unfortunately it is not comfortable so I am sticking with the left hand. Keep working on your son and get him to shoot with his dominant eye he will be thankful later in life. Tell him to shoot with both eyes open than switch hands and do the same thing. Results might speak for themselves and encourage him to change.

Ok then if the kid doesn't "adapt" in a few shots and it becomes a nuisance instead of fun then what? Just let them quit or go back to what they know?
For me it was loads of patience by both of us and his recognition of hitting the bullseye more consistently lefthanded that made the difference. I even made/make both of them use their toy/Nerf guns lefthanded to get used to it. Short (time), very close range sessions in the garage with a rest and I'd be surprised if he doesn't get the hang of it faster than you think. A box 3-4" thick stuff tight with plastic bags works very well at stopping BBs.

If a kid can't adapt, it's time to evaluate the teach methods involved.

Well the wind continues! I did as suggested above and made a cardboard target for the bb gun. I set it up in the garage and just let him approach the gun how he wanted. He shot left shoulder, left eye the whole time. He seemed comfortable. I asked him if he'd rather use his right and and he said no. We did some eye dominance exercises, but it's hard for me to ascertain his dominance.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Killcarp2
Back