External Frame Packs

David658

Does anyone here use external frame packs? A few years ago, I found a CampTrails on Ebay that has a nice suspension system, a significant upgrade from my CampTrails from my high school days in 1974 (which hauled out my most recent elk). I have always liked the multitude of pockets and compartments that external frame packs usually have - I can segregate and find my gear. I do have a couple of nice Kelty internal frame packs (sheesh, I have waaaaay too many packs, I have all the gear I have ever bought since the mid '70's with the exception of that first Sears Hillary pack and tent), and I was able to carry a quarter with no problem on it.

Whatcha got? I am interested in what you think about using the external frame pack on the hunt, and what pack you are using. I might buy one to upgrade, but it'll likely be my last one for hunting given the number or trips around the sun I've managed.

David
NM

Kifaru frame with a mountain warrior pack for 5-7 day trips and their new (relatively speaking) hellbender for 1-2 day trips.

Kifaru tactical w a lid and compression kit. Add a large dry bag for backpacking.

I run an initial ascent 4k. I like their frame, bag and load shelf. For day trips in the cold and up to 5 days. The 4k would be optimal. Longer than that the food takes up tons of room so a 6-8k bag is better. But if you get creative, you can bring 10 days worth of food and gear in the 4k utilizing the load shelf. Working on getting a barneys frame as I got a pinnacle bag for a steal of a deal.

Last edited:
Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htcooke
Back