Caribou Gear Tarp

Extend Your Hunting Season...with Bacon

jjubran

Hello, Y'all.

My brother Luke and myself (James) started our company because we wanted to encourage kids to love wildlife and start off with a conservation ethic, you can check out our books at SmileOutside.com but that's not why I'm posting. I also want to encourage those of you that will be ending your big game hunting seasons soon, if not already to think about coming down to Texas late winter, Spring or even summer (HOT HUMID) and get in some Feral pig/wild hog/boar or whatever else you call them in your neck of the woods. We have a lot more public land than folks think and pretty much all of it is covered in hogs. They are smart, they can be tough to hunt, but it is a very do-able DIY adventure. You don't have to have a ton of money, a non-resident hunting license and Annual Public Land permit will set you back about $100. You don't have to be @Big Fin to get my help either. Would love to help anyone interested in coming down, just let me know. Here's a Boar I shot last week, roughly my size 180-200 and tastes AMAZING don't let anyone tell you otherwise.
D04828E1-8AC1-4AFB-96A0-05BF66870D50.JPG

Would love to get information from you! I find myself reluctant to spend a fee to shoot something that all of us should want exterminated.

Would love to get information from you! I find myself reluctant to spend a fee to shoot something that all of us should want exterminated.
I hear that and believe me, I know that the landscapes would be much better off without them. Not gonna lie though, I sure do enjoy hunting and eating them. I definitely don't pass an opportunity on a hog, even if it means cutting a deer hunt or other hunt short. I feel obligated to shoot them on site....and they taste so damn good!!!

I dont know what the cost for nonres license is but if you buy a permit to hunt WMA’s ($49 residents) there are literally thousands of acres you can DIY hunt here in Texas. Kill all the pigs you want and chances are excellent its not gonna snow on you.

Good luck thinning those things out, we have lots of pigs in the flatwoods of South Georgia. I really enjoy eat the ones 60 - 100 lbs.
I personally like to eat the biggest ones I can find, they usually have more fat and more meat on the ribs. Love hog ribs! I've never tasted "bad tasting hog" and I've killed...countless

Last edited:
Adults can be, how shall we say, fragrant. It's an acquired taste. 50-150 lbs there's a good chance we will eat it. Larger ones we put a small chunk in the pan and sear it. You'll know within seconds if the flavor is for you. Most large hogs we shoot get canned (outdoors) for the dogs.

Never EVER feed raw wild boar to dogs. Wild hogs across the south can and do carry Aujeszky's disease (pseudorabies) which is fatal to dogs. Always cook wild boar well.

Adults can be, how shall we say, fragrant. It's an acquired taste. 50-150 lbs there's a good chance we will eat it. Larger ones we put a small chunk in the pan and sear it. You'll know within seconds if the flavor is for you. Most large hogs we shoot get canned (outdoors) for the dogs.

Never EVER feed raw wild boar to dogs. Wild hogs across the south can and do carry Aujeszky's disease (pseudorabies) which is fatal to dogs. Always cook wild boar well.

I've heard many many people talk about a strong tasting big hog, but I've never come accross this. I always treat the meat very well being sure not to touch the meat with anything that touches the outside of the skin, and get the meat cooled fast. I've killed and eaten 10 lb piglets and 300 lb boars and everything in between. Maybe I've gotten lucky many dozen times.....

Yes, always cook it fully through, as they are also carriers of trichinosis.

Back