Explain New Mexico please...

JustEppic

Hey guys... use small words, cause I am DUMB lol. Just kidding, but really this is confusing the hell out of me. I was looking at putting in for draws in Colorado or New Mexico, but I do not understand the structures. SO Let us use New Mexico because I know some people there and it is likely I could get help if I got drawn.
If I buy the hunting license - $65 What else do I pay for the application?
THEN lets say I get drawn - That is $773 or $548 depending on location? OR is there more cost on top of that?
I am NOT complaining at all, I am trying to figure out the math and logistics of it all so I know what I am getting into. It seems that Colorado has the same structure? I just want to know what I am looking at in terms of applying. If I get drawn, what I would be looking at. And then you just reset each year in New Mexico? I cant tell if Colorado has point system or not.
Thanks everyone!!!

You pay up front (CC) and get a refund if you don’t draw. License and fees are not refunded. You will know your bottom line at checkout.
License + Tag + Habitat Stamp + Application Fee

should be good.

PS

CO def has a point system. Preference points. You can draw with zero points for many species in certain units.
And there are OTC opportunities as well.

Dude thank you, that makes sense! So they refund if you don’t get drawn the $700ish everything else is lost? That seems reasonable. Colorado otc... I will have to chat with people about that...

The forum owner, Randy Newberg, has a ton of videos explaining the various draw systems by state. Make sure u look at the newest vids cause things change yearly good luck.

Hey guys... use small words, cause I am DUMB lol. Just kidding, but really this is confusing the hell out of me. I was looking at putting in for draws in Colorado or New Mexico, but I do not understand the structures. SO Let us use New Mexico because I know some people there and it is likely I could get help if I got drawn.
If I buy the hunting license - $65 What else do I pay for the application?
THEN lets say I get drawn - That is $773 or $548 depending on location? OR is there more cost on top of that?
I am NOT complaining at all, I am trying to figure out the math and logistics of it all so I know what I am getting into. It seems that Colorado has the same structure? I just want to know what I am looking at in terms of applying. If I get drawn, what I would be looking at. And then you just reset each year in New Mexico? I cant tell if Colorado has point system or not.
Thanks everyone!!!
This answers a lot of questions I had about the NM draw. I’ve been looking at NM for the 2021 elk season

And don't forget NM charges more for trophy units/hunts that typically have lower odds odds to draw, but the odds of finding a giant are higher. These are called the HD ( High Demand) hunts.

...also key in NM
Yeah, key is to look at the draw odds and harvest rates. Usually high harvest are low draw odds and low harvests are high odds. I have noticed in going over last year's stats that there might be some hunts around thanksgiving that have high odds of a draw and pretty decent harvest reports.

Yeah, key is to look at the draw odds and harvest rates. Usually high harvest are low draw odds and low harvests are high odds. I have noticed in going over last year's stats that there might be some hunts around thanksgiving that have high odds of a draw and pretty decent harvest reports.
For residents, this may be the case, but for nonresidents it seems to depend more on reputation of the area, access, and dates that determine demand in NM. With nonresident allocation now capped at 6%, it's really tough. You're looking at 1-6 nonresident tags per hunt code with few exceptions, and forget about applying for anything with less than 17 tags. All draw odds are bad in NM, but at least it's equally bad for all nonresidents.

*edited to be less confrontational*

Last edited:
For residents, this may be the case, but for nonresidents it seems to depend more on reputation of the area, access, and dates that determine demand in NM. With nonresident allocation now capped at 6%, it's really tough. You're looking at 1-6 nonresident tags per hunt code with few exceptions, and forget about applying for anything with less than 17 tags. All draw odds are bad in NM, but at least it's equally bad for all nonresidents.

*edited to be less confrontational*
I can't argue with you. I can say though that I know folks from out of state who scan the stats and apply for hunts and draw almost every year.

Doesn’t NM keep $90 even if you don’t draw?

Yes sir. Pages 8-13 in 2021-2022 rules booklet shows all the requirements for non residents. I narrowed it down.
App fee $13
Game hunting license $65
Habitat stamp $10
HMAV $4
Pronghorn tag $283
You don't draw, you get back $283. The habitat stamp went up from $5 to $10.

Well just to update everyone- I pulled the trigger! I applied for Elk AND Mule deer...
So I hope I get drawn for something, fingers crossed.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back