Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

ExoMtnGear K3 - 6400 versus Stone Glacier R3 - 5900

SilverDollars

Howdy. For those who have one of these 2 packs ( ExoMtnGear K3 - 6400 OR Stone Glacier R3 - 5900 ), what do you think are the positives and negatives of it? Have you ever hauled meat with the pack and frame? If you have both packs, please tell me about them as you have had both? Thanks in advance!

Haven’t had either but had a exo k1 and k2 and currently primarily use a SG xcurve. In general the EXOs are just cush and you hardly feel them. My favorite with light loads by far (compared to Kifaru g2 duplex, seek outside revo, and x-curve). Where I appreciate my SG frame is that lumbar pad sticks to my back like no other pack has. EXOs cushy lumber pads seem to get overwhelmed by heavy loads (think elk hind quarter). That said, my K2 frame handled heavy loads for me better than my Kifaru or seek outside frames so still admirably.

I also think exo has the best bag designs on the market.

I’m still using the SG though because it does everything else well enough and love it with heavy loads.

I have the SG Xcurve frame, my buddy has the newest Exo. They’re both very similar and pretty sweet. I’d try them both in person to make your decision.

I have the sg and my old hunting partner had the exo. He almost sold his exo after seeing the versatility, capacity and weight of the sg compared to his exo. I believe he had the model you listed but I’m not 100 percent positive.

I have the K3 with the born and raised 4800 pack. I’ve been happy with it so far (1.5 seasons). Have packed out 3 elk with it. I do mostly day hunting and this seemed to be the more compact pack, both were nearly identical in weight. I also emailed Stone Glacier when I was shopping with a question about when they would get packs back in stock as at the time they were all out. Never got a response. Emailed Exo a question and had response same day. A hunting friend purchased the Stone Glacier the year before I bought him and I asked him “is it worth $700?” He said he could not honestly say yes, I think it depends on the person kinda like boots.

I do not think you can go “wrong” with either, a lot on this forum will lean you towards the SG from what I have seen. Mystery Ranch is a tad heavier but another one to consider. I think it’s tricky because a lot of guys aren’t going to admit they aren’t happy spending that much on a pack. I got mine during hunting season so if I didn’t like it I could return it in the 30 days. I didn’t return it and I’m the first to return something if I’m not satisfied or find a better deal.

Check out the thread “why my pack sucks” too. Some good opinions there but most SG love from what I remember.

Having used both, they are excellent packs. Comes down to personal preference. I kept the exo k3 for my hunts and it’s worked great for everything from day hunts here in CO to 10day sheep hunts in AK.

I thought long and hard at both brands and ultimately went with an exo 4800. For me the pockets and organization, adjustable frame height, materials/finish and friends recommendations made the decision. The one friend I have with both sold his SG after one fall and bought another exo

Howdy. I'm beginning to think that the "ExoMtnGear K3 - 6400" has more appeal to me, not sure yet. But, I like some degree of external pockets for easier access to things I need to get rather quickly w/o having to open the [pack up and dig through everything to find something that should be easier for get to.

Back