Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Ever have a dog that demands a pill down her throat

WyoDoug

This little black pug I have my hand on had been demanding her pill for over an hour woofing like crazy until wife went and got the pill and brought it to me. I have to push it to back of her throat so she will swallow it. Of course, there is a treat after. Not sure butt betting she wants the pill so she can get her treat next. LOL

chinapills.jpg

Lol some dogs just get the program, especially when there's a treat involved. I have a 7 month old pup that runs to her kennel when the toaster goes off in the morning. She know it's the kids time to eat and she goes in her kennel and get a little treat. I've made myself some late night snacks and same thing the toaster dings and my dog goes to lay down in the kennel

This black pug definitely has been programmed LOL. She was woofing at me for over a half hour until wife got tired of it and went to fetch a pill. Wonder what she's gonna do after the last pill??? LOL

Treats for sure!
The only way to train a lab.
Had one with epilepsy, had to get the pills to the back of the throat, yep the treat afterwards was the ticket.

Now the other two are jealous since there sister is getting a pill and they aint. Of course they all end up with a treat after.

Do not do the pill, but treats for sure.

They line up and take the in order. I have 4 small ones.

When my daughter's dog is visiting, he also gets his treat and any that he can steal.

He is locked in the bathroom until the others finish.

No need to resort to shoving the pill to back of throat. Grease the skids BEFORE you give the pill. Put pill in a piece of hot dog or wrap it in a slice of cheese. Then prepare two more similar treats. Give the dog a preparatory non-pill treat with the other two other treats in the other hand. After greasing the skid with first treat, give the dog the baited treat while holding the last treat with other hand right in front of its nose. Pooch will be totally focused on getting the last treat and gulps the baited one instantly. Works every time!

Last edited:
My Lab is capable of jumping 4' vertically and can easily clear the back yard chain link fence anytime she wants. She's a social butterfly and goes visiting if bored. Not good about crossing streets so it's been a constant battle. Now I keep an eye on them through the window and bring them in as soon as they've done their business. Rattling the treat box will bring in the bored restless Lab every time. But it's created a Frankenstein monster! My little Fr Britt has figured out coming in from outside gets her a treat so she's always bugging me night and day to go outside ... when I know it's not necessary.

On that subject, my daughter proclaimed today "three bark cold". The late great Opal would bark when she was ready to come in. One bark was fair weather. Two barks it was cold or rainy. Woof, woof, woof ... woof, woof, woof ... woof, woof, woof = "Gawdam cold! Let me in NOW!"

Whats that thing between the pillhead pug and the, uhhh... fat siamese cat? A cinnamon bear cub? What the hell is going on there?

We put peanut butter on our finger and put the pill in the peanut butter oper her mouth and stick it to her tonge, goes right down. She loves it and it is fun to watch them with the sticky peanut butter on their tongue.

No need to resort to shoving the pill to back of throat. Grease the skids BEFORE you give the pill. Put pill in a piece of hot dog or wrap it in a slice of cheese. Then prepare two more similar treats. Give the dog a preparatory non-pill treat with the other two other treats in the other hand. After greasing the skid with first treat, give the dog the baited treat while holding the last treat with other hand right in front of its nose. Pooch will be totally focused on getting the last treat and gulps the baited one instantly. Works every time!
You can save a "treat" by giving the pill treat first, followed up by the treat treat.
One of my labs would eat (or at least swallow - not much "eating" involved) any pill as long as I flipped it at him. I flipped so many treats at him I guess he thought anything that came through the air was a "treat".

Thanks for the unsolicited advice but she eats the peanut butter, meat, whatever and spits the pill out. Vet showed me to push it to the back of her tongue where she has to swallow it and that works and worked on my other pugs too. Only takes a second and she's fine with it apparently. As long as she gets her treat that is. LOL

My GSP could smell the pill in the cheese and eat the cheese and spit out the pill. I had to put it to the back of the throat to give it to him.
Yes, those canine antibiotic pills are very stinky. It's why greasing the skids with an unbaited treat first is important. Work fast and have the final unbaited treat right on their nose as you give them the baited one second. My old Lab Pearl was a hard one to medicate but this trick worked, even for antibiotics.

Lol some dogs just get the program, especially when there's a treat involved. I have a 7 month old pup that runs to her kennel when the toaster goes off in the morning. She know it's the kids time to eat and she goes in her kennel and get a little treat. I've made myself some late night snacks and same thing the toaster dings and my dog goes to lay down in the kennel
What I’m wondering is why are you eating toast as a late night snack. I’m more of a pint of ice cream in the middle of the night kind of guy.

My lab is a junky 3 pills a day she just gobbles them down glad shes still happy. When I see life is bringing her down I’ll put her down. She’ll be 9 in March real bad elbow displacia but she’s real happy to be alive. Losing a dog isn’t as bad to me anymore. I said dogs are kids till you have kids then there dogs. I lost my mom real early she wasn’t even 49 yet. I’m 33 and my kids are 4 and 6 it will be harder on them than me.

What I’m wondering is why are you eating toast as a late night snack. I’m more of a pint of ice cream in the middle of the night kind of guy.
Try a toasted pb&j even put a little country crock on first. Melted buttery pb&j. Give it a shot

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back