european elk mount ideas

oleefish2

I am trying to help mount an elk that has been cleaned for an European elk mount. So any ideas on how to attach it to the wall that is only 8 feet. All of mine are skull mounts or full shoulder mounts and this elk is much heavier. Thank you and have a great day

ImBillT

I am trying to help mount an elk that has been cleaned for an European elk mount. So any ideas on how to attach it to the wall that is only 8 feet. All of mine are skull mounts or full shoulder mounts and this elk is much heavier. Thank you and have a great day
I just used a big L bracket with a bend in it and painted it to match the wall. I screwed it into a stud using 3” screws.

Attachments

375H&H

What’s the difference between a skull mount and European?

Contact Prairiehunter on here, he makes some great mounting brackets.

Here are a couple of mine, I also built an octagon base pedestal mount that works well if you have the floor space.
I'm a huge fan of that style of euro mount that places the skull at an angle rather than straight up and down. I think it looks more natural and better my self!

Nick_CO

I used an 8 inch lag bolt directly into a stud for this one. The bolt fits right into the brain stem hole and is completely hidden this way. Now, if the bull is much bigger than the one in this photo, I might be concerned about weight. Also, the tines sweeping back on a bigger bull might hit the wall and prevent this method. 1532.jpeg

bigsky2

Here are a couple of mine, I also built an octagon base pedestal mount that works well if you have the floor space.
Do you have picture of one of these? I've been trying to come up with something like that for my moose European mount. I don't have a good place for it on the wall.

Ajax2744

We do a whole bunch of different euro mounts. The pedestal mount can be bought from McKenzie taxidermy supply on there website. If not skull hookers are great but expensive.

Carl 9.3x62

I got a Skull Hooker for the bull I killed last year. Seemed kind of wobbly at first, so i used bigger screws to attach to the stud. But its held so far. I like how you can change the angle and you can also turn it to the left or right. Not a huge fan of how far it sticks out though. Might not be the best option for an 8' ceiling.

Attachments

ImBillT

I got a Skull Hooker for the bull I killed last year. Seemed kind of wobbly at first, so i used bigger screws to attach to the stud. But its held so far. I like how you can change the angle and you can also turn it to the left or right. Not a huge fan of how far it sticks out though. Might not be the best option for an 8' ceiling.
How far it sticks out is why I didn’t use a Skull Hooker. I got three for mule deer and never used them. Now I’m happy my cheap solution.

Carl 9.3x62

How far it sticks out is why I didn’t use a Skull Hooker. I got three for mule deer and never used them. Now I’m happy my cheap solution.
Yeah its taken me a bit to get use to. But its in my office so its not in a high use area.

rtraverdavis

On my bull from last year, I used 50lb framers wire and ran it through some of the holes in the pallet of the skull to attach it to the backer I made, then hung the backer on a six inch lag bolt. With my bull’s pallet flush to the backer, I was able to keep the whole thing from sticking too far out into the room. My ceiling here is also eight feet.