Euro Mount Cleaning in the winter months

Has anyone used a small steam cleaner for spot cleaning a euro? My current tank does a great job on an elk skull for the most part except getting the pedicles and area between them under water. Id thought a little steamer might do a good job for getting those places
I actually mainly use a steamer for the entire process. Works real slick, no boiling required and great for elk if you don’t have a means for a burner and big enough pot.

I always wait for a day when the temps are halfway tolerable. I've cleaned many in the months of November, December, January simmering and pressure washing. Just gotta bundle up!

What kind of steamer?
318058F3-0463-42D1-A241-447014B53AD9.jpeg

Wrap a garbage bag, preferably heavy duty, around the skull, insert steamer hose, steam it for a few hours, pressure wash, done. Still trying to develop a better way to keep the nasal cartilage in while getting all the tissue out, but if you like the look without it, this method is killer. I’ve had success keeping the cartilage, but prefer the look without it, so I normally just pull it, saves a lot of time and effort.

View attachment 257262

Wrap a garbage bag, preferably heavy duty, around the skull, insert steamer hose, steam it for a few hours, pressure wash, done. Still trying to develop a better way to keep the nasal cartilage in while getting all the tissue out, but if you like the look without it, this method is killer. I’ve had success keeping the cartilage, but prefer the look without it, so I normally just pull it, saves a lot of time and effort.
Sous vide combined with this would be pretty interesting to try.

I like to have the cartilage in tact. I used to pick and scrape and hit it with water and no matter what i did it just broke. Finally now i just let it cook soak and with a good shake it usually all comes out at one time. If there's still a little in there I'll resoak it and a garden hose with 0 pressure really it'll wash right out. No picking or anything.

That turned out beautiful. On my next one I won’t pull it and instead will try a little sous vide and shake and see if I can keep them bad boys intact.

Got a recommendation for a sous vide tool or do you just simmer over open flame?
I just bought the cheap 99 dollar one from target.

I bought a HD rubber made 6 gallon tub there but next year I'm getting a galvanized tub. The sides bow out on the plastic tubs so i had to get creative with some straps.

20221030_103653.jpg

I haven't had to pick or blow out nasal cavities yet. Make sure you throw some oxy in the mix. This is a another bull I did for a friend after mine.

20221103_181603.jpg

I just bought the cheap 99 dollar one from target.

I bought a HD rubber made 6 gallon tub there but next year I'm getting a galvanized tub. The sides bow out on the plastic tubs so i had to get creative with some straps.

View attachment 257286

I haven't had to pick or blow out nasal cavities yet. Make sure you throw some oxy in the mix. This is a another bull I did for a friend after mine.

View attachment 257287
@EYJONAS! How long did it take in the sous vide?

@EYJONAS! How long did it take in the sous vide?

I did 60 hrs of clean then 24 hrs of whitening.

I will say that i did it to long to, but with the lower temps it didn't have any negative effects.

I probably wouldn't do it for everything because i do a lot for friends and family to. I just really like the set it and forget it process though, along with the ease of keeping the details of the skull.

For degreasing bears and stuff this will be awesome.

Works awesome with greasy bears, i boil to start(clean) then sous vide to whiten. I use a cheap concrete mix pan, a metal pasta strainer works great when teeth get close to falling out so your not missing any. Heres 3 i just did getting some sun.View attachment 265016
I rehydrated some skulls that are over 15 years old, dirty and greasy while they didn't come out as white as a fresh skull would it certainly cleaned them up really nice. The best part about all of it is a person really doesn't need to go much over 125 degrees.

Funny story about doing skulls in the backyard.

I'm pretty sure my transplant neighbors think I'm running a full on Walter White operation.

I have a 55 gallon drum of hydrogen peroxide 6 propane tanks, burners, and when i tried a creation with ammonia I bet they could smell that shit in their kitchen.

I can't wait till they call my ass in.

1676559457027.png

I was taught a method using a bucket of water and Biz bleach. Got a few heads soaking in the basement as we speak. Results are always nice. Simmer for a bit (or don't depending on time constraints) set that sucker in and walk away. About the most hands off method I've found.
DO NOT USE CHLORINE BLEACH PRODUCTS. The bone will eventually decompose. Clients have brought us two of those to try fixing. Hopeless. Both became cap mounts ... after significant fiberglass reinforcement.

Funny story about doing skulls in the backyard.

I'm pretty sure my transplant neighbors think I'm running a full on Walter White operation.

I have a 55 gallon drum of hydrogen peroxide 6 propane tanks, burners, and when i tried a creation with ammonia I bet they could smell that shit in their kitchen.

I can't wait till they call my ass in.

View attachment 265023
What concentration is the peroxide you use?

DO NOT USE CHLORINE BLEACH PRODUCTS. The bone will eventually decompose. Clients have brought us two of those to try fixing. Hopeless. Both became cap mounts ... after significant fiberglass reinforcement.

Cool story bro, got time to tell me it again?

Biz isn’t a chlorine bleach it’s enzymatic hence why it’s safe for skull mounts.

How do you have time for this site what with having to keep up with knowing everything about everything?

What concentration is the peroxide you use?
Honestly i don't even know, some one gave me the 55 gallon drum.

50 percent i suppose.

Shit is pretty potent though, I tried getting some out of it after he dropped it off. Didn't realize the pump was cracked and i looked like a damn pie bald deer for about 24hrs.

1676571521703.png

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back