Euro Mount Cleaning in the winter months

HerkHunter

I started doing my own euro mounts this year. It’s a blast and a great way to wrap up a hunt. I got all the equipment for it but there’s one problem: Montana winters and pressure washers don’t mix well. I was wondering if anyone has tips on how to pressure wash skulls when it’s below freezing outside. I don’t have a heated garage, so I’m beginning to think my best choice is to wait for sunnier days before I finish these next few skulls. Will the skulls be fine in my garage in the meantime? Or do I run the risk of them becoming grease stained? Thanks for any help!

If there's a good way to do it in the winter, I haven't figured it out yet. None of the ones I've either left sit or froze until spring ever had anything terrible happen to them

What point in the euro process are you using the pressure washer? I've done many euro mounts and have never used any pressured water at all. If you barely simmer the skull for a very long time, sinus tissue will wash away with water from a spigot, or even in your sink.

I was taught a method using a bucket of water and Biz bleach. Got a few heads soaking in the basement as we speak. Results are always nice. Simmer for a bit (or don't depending on time constraints) set that sucker in and walk away. About the most hands off method I've found.

In winter months before hand I've left skulls sit when it's too cold. A couple of days before I want to clean them up I'll soak them to rehydrate everything. I've tried adding dawn and oxy to it while they soak too help soften the leftover meat as well. It does seem to help a bit.

I've never seen it or had an issue with letting skulls sit awhile after the initial clean.

Hands down the sous vide is a game changer for the finish work of cleaning and degrease process. Set to 135 and let her rip with some volume 40 clear and 24 hours later its muy bueno.

How much perioxide to water in the sous vide soup?
1qt to 1gal.

I also save it in a 5 gallon bucket with a lid. It has quite a bit of pop left in it. Never had an issue with skull damage or anything.

I didn't realize until this year the peroxide has a "lifespan". Direct sunlight and Air can "kill" it.

Wish i wouldve known that 5 years ago

What point in the euro process are you using the pressure washer? I've done many euro mounts and have never used any pressured water at all. If you barely simmer the skull for a very long time, sinus tissue will wash away with water from a spigot, or even in your sink.
Good to know. I learned from whitebone creations on youtube. I just bring it to just under a boil for an hour or two and then wash after then back in the boil if I can’t get it all off

In winter months before hand I've left skulls sit when it's too cold. A couple of days before I want to clean them up I'll soak them to rehydrate everything. I've tried adding dawn and oxy to it while they soak too help soften the leftover meat as well. It does seem to help a bit.

I've never seen it or had an issue with letting skulls sit awhile after the initial clean.

Hands down the sous vide is a game changer for the finish work of cleaning and degrease process. Set to 135 and let her rip with some volume 40 clear and 24 hours later its muy bueno.
Good to know, never heard of this method before. Might have to give her a try

Yeah i started a deer in my shop got it half clean dawn pulled lot of oil out of it then over night it half froze in a pot of water. but I had it mostly clean so figured would just leave it and let the water do its work for a long time. It will be a good experiment as it was just a road kill that i figured would practice on. Only done one other elk and it turned out with no complaints so will see what happens. I like the car wash idea.

I've now done six euros without a pressure washer. They've all turned out great. Just gotta add a little more time. I even did my most recent even without using running water of any kind to wash/rinse off the skull.

I’ve done both methods, pressure washing is the way to go, but in the winter I don’t use the pressure washer just boil and scrape. Don’t worry about the grease discoloring, I did a 15 year old skull last year that was never cleaned up, still had dead maggots in all the crevices and brain still in, and it turned out great, white as can be.

Pressure washing is unnecessary and a good way to break the fragile little nose bone off.
Just simmer low and slow and periodically pull it out of the pot and scrape the gunk and goo off and out of cavities.

When I get it pretty close to done, I change the water and put some bleach in then simmer a while longer to whiten and get the oil/greasy stuff cleaned better. After that I let it dry, then apply a good coating of bleach blonde hair coloring, let is sit on there for 4+ hours and rinse it off. Repeat the bleach blonde process 2-3 times and you will have a nice white skull.

Pressure washing is unnecessary and a good way to break the fragile little nose bone off.
Just simmer low and slow and periodically pull it out of the pot and scrape the gunk and goo off and out of cavities.

When I get it pretty close to done, I change the water and put some bleach in then simmer a while longer to whiten and get the oil/greasy stuff cleaned better. After that I let it dry, then apply a good coating of bleach blonde hair coloring, let is sit on there for 4+ hours and rinse it off. Repeat the bleach blonde process 2-3 times and you will have a nice white skull.
I NEVER use bleach nor would recommend anyone does. Peroxide, hair whitener, oxy clean, toothpaste, dish soap all fine if used right but never use bleach.

Has anyone used a small steam cleaner for spot cleaning a euro? My current tank does a great job on an elk skull for the most part except getting the pedicles and area between them under water. Id thought a little steamer might do a good job for getting those places

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winchester 73
Back