Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Euro arrived broken

Jwill

It arrived like this and I haven't called the taxi yet, but I know I'm probably not going to send it back to MT...

I'm thinking an additional bolt, plus epoxy on the location of the previous break. Any other suggestions for a fix?

Attachments

• IMG_20160516_195007331[1].jpg
    IMG_20160516_195007331[1].jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 341
  • IMG_20160516_195020351[1].jpg
    IMG_20160516_195020351[1].jpg
    80 KB · Views: 342
  • IMG_20160516_195113836[1].jpg
    IMG_20160516_195113836[1].jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 342
Oh wow, bummer. I bet with the irregular surfaces that a well placed epoxy (one that dries clear, and won't stain the bone) will hold that tight. May I suggest that when it comes time for the real gluing, that you have practiced marrying the two pieces together several times so that it is second nature.

(A certain level of panic can set in when you are putting that crown on a tooth with relatively quick setting bonding materials, with a tricky path of insertion, and it fails to slide home on the first try :eek:!)

Elmers glue actually works really well on stuff like that. I don't think you would even need to redo the bolt or anything. It looks like it is just broken on where the bones naturally are fused together, just run a line of glue on it and press it together, wipe off the excess glue and you should be good to go.

My 2 cents anyway.

Had a similar incident with a pronghorn a few years ago. I was walking between rooms to hang it and jammed the nose into the door jam.

As mentioned elmers glue is pretty good. I held the pieces in place by hand while I was watching tv. I didn't trust tape or anything else because I wanted the fit to ve tight so that there was very little glue to wipe off or worry about the color. Good luck.

That sucks man. I'm kinda worried about the one I am doing for my brother. going to have to pack the heck out of it for shipping Fl to Co.

Good tip on the glue glass eye. Would you use painters tape to hold the pieces together while the glue is drying?

The tape wouldn't be strong enough and would stick to the glue, making a mess. If it doesn't lock together like puzzle pieces and needs help, try some zip ties.

euro broken

Being a taxidermist it looks like the skull was boiled (bad) which will make the bone brittle. I would drill matching holes in both pieces, insert small metal rods into the skull part way epoxy in and leave about 3/4 inch sticking out to attach the broken piece to and epoxy in, after the epoxy has set up , then use epoxy to put the broken piece back on. Be careful and it should be good.

Last edited:
Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PerezA
Back