Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Ethics question

RayRay

I am pretty new to hunting. Grew up with a dad who had hunted a lot prior to me being old enough to go and when I was he had become to ill to enjoy it. I learned a lot of good ethics from him on the few hunts we did get to go on however now that dad isn’t around anymore I figured this is the best place to ask this question as I’ve always enjoyed watching Randy’s stuff and he always speaks highly of the hunters here. (Sorry for the long intro here it is).

I wasn’t drawn for an elk tag this year, but still I have been practicing bugling/calling. Is it unethical/rude for me to practice calling in a bull this September? Are the bulls receptive to calling prior to season opening so I can practice before I’d be in anyone’s way? I’ve heard people bugling at night unarmed so they obviously wouldn’t be accused of hunting after sun down. Is that a thing?

Any experience or tips of what you have done to practice this would be appreciated.

thanks
-noob

The beauty of public land is you can go out there and enjoy it in a variety of ways. I practice calling in turkeys during youth season on public, but if someone’s nearby I give them a very wide berth so as not to interfere with their hunt.

Welcome to HT

Totally fine. The only way someone is going to get upset is if you are in an area they are hunting and you screw up their hunt. If no one is around the area like ElkFever said it’s public land for all to enjoy. You could even go do it right next to someone and I wouldn’t call it unethical but it would be a D move.

If you go out I’d make sure you take a camera / videocam to get pics or video.

Welcome to the forum. My take on learning and practicing calling: There are beaucoup online and other resources where you can listen to real calling, expert callers, even record and listen to your own calling. None of that will impact live elk. Come Sept, some if not most of the calling you hear could be human, depending on if you are where other hunters are. If you are in the middle of hunters, extra calling will not light their candles. Away from other hunters, feel free to educate elk to your heart's content. We've all practiced around real elk.

There may be some places like Parks where it not legal. I do not know. It should be fine anywhere you can hunt them legally. Some guys get bent when they hear a guy who has a tag calling in "their spot". I would avoid places with rigs at the trailhead.
Report back here how you felt when that big bull came in hot and you didn't have so much as a sharp stick to poke him with. That's a rush!;)

What state are you in? You could doing some calling in a protected area like some National Parks, you will get more response from the elk and won’t mess with people hunting.
But I agree with those above, it’s public land have at it.

I did it in RMNP a long time ago, no idea if it was legal and my calling was lousy back then, but it was a freaking riot to watch those bulls respond...
I believe it’s now illegal there... at least right off the road in the kawuneeche valley. I think if you hike in a bit more towards the Indian peaks side you would be fine. GSNP would be another option.

I think in ethics the idea is about elevating your craft. If there is a clear line separating "Illegal" on the bottom and "legal" on top, ethics sits above "legal". Then the idea becomes what can you do to distance yourself from that line. Elevate your ethics. Can you do something vs should you do something. Can you call in September on public land, sure if the laws permit. Should you when others are actively pursuing the animals for a kill and you might be educating bulls to your presence? That's when you make the ethical decision.

I don’t think you need to go practice on real elk especially during hunting season. Keep practicing whenever you have free time. Like stated before, watch videos online of elk101 or others to learn. Trust me you don’t have to be the best elk caller to get bulls to respond. Actual elk don’t even bugle good sometimes so don’t worry about it.

Reactions: XXL
That moment when he's so close and loud the trees shake and rocks roll off the hills. You still can't see him yet. You look at your dinky little bow and think, "My God, I'm out of my mind, what could make a sound like that? I am going to die here."

If you’re not knowingly interfering with someone’s hunt, you’re fine. I’d go to a top tier unit with a high bull:cow ratio, fewer hunters and bigger bulls.

If you’re not knowingly interfering with someone’s hunt, you’re fine. I’d go to a top tier unit with a high bull:cow ratio, fewer hunters and bigger bulls.

Eeesh. I don't know...potentially ruining someone's hunt in an OTC unit would be bad enough, but ruining someone's hunt who has waited 20+ years to draw that tag? :confused:

It's a tricky question. Personally, I try to stay out of the woods during hunting seasons if I'm not actively hunting. I like the idea of going to National Parks or anywhere hunting is not allowed.

Another option would be to go out with someone who is actively hunting. That way you can pick up other tips and help with other logistics (packing, gutting, etc).

What state are you in? You could doing some calling in a protected area like some National Parks, you will get more response from the elk and won’t mess with people hunting.
But I agree with those above, it’s public land have at it.
It is banned in Yellowstone National Park, likely elsewhere also.

I used to bugle to the Tule Ellk at the San Luis National Wildlife Refuge in California. They are inside a large fenced enclosure which you can view from raised platforms or drive around. Mamma used to get pretty rattled when they would come in hot right up to the fence and rake the ground.

Back