Episode #10 - Public Land Turkey

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
OK, if you are like me, when you read turkey, you yawned. Unless that is, you are one of those guys stricken by the turkey bug each April/May.

This episode is very cool. I am probably biased, but I will put this episode up against any turkey episode that has ever been on TV. Wow, that is a pretty bold statement.

I posted the day-by-day account of what happened on this hunt. To see it brought to a completed episode is very interesting. It really changed my impression of turkey hunting. I had watched lots of turkey shows on TV, and they were all about the same. Not this one.

There is not enough time in a 22 minutes of footage to show how difficult this hunt was. We struggled with flaky birds and fickle weather for a week, before the fluke chance came together on the last morning.

Not sure how many turkey shows we will do, as most guys like big game hunting, as do sponsors. But, if we do ten more turkey episodes, I don't think we will ever top this one.

The episode airs on Outdoor Channel this Friday, September 4th at 11:30 am and 10:00 pm, and Sunday, September 6th, at 3:00 pm. All times being Mountain time.

Click here to read the Hunt Talk story of the Public Land Turkey Hunt.

I hope you enjoy this episode. Yes, there is a kill shot, and yes, there is lots of drama. The scenics are excellent, and when it is all finished, I am afraid we have discouraged anyone from ever wanting to come hunt public land turkeys in Montana.

If you like it, I hope you will email Outdoor Channel and tell them so. Click here to email Outdoor Channel.

It was a great turkey hunting episode, no doubt. Probably one of the best Ive ever seen! Great job!!

Randy, that was a great show. Took me back to my SD hunt. 5 weeks after knee surgery I was up and down them ravines chasing birds. Then I got smart and found the roosting trees. Gopt to love it when you have 20-30 tom sounding off 30 minutes before 1st light.
My hunting partner Grosvenor and I put the smack down on 4 nice toms in 3 days. Glad you were able to tag that bird. Looks like you cough the BUG ! If you would care to come hunt a Va farm for a big eastern , let me know.

Attachments

• IMGA0517.JPG
    IMGA0517.JPG
    104.9 KB · Views: 617
  • IMGA0503.JPG
    IMGA0503.JPG
    111.6 KB · Views: 611
  • IMGA0519.JPG
    IMGA0519.JPG
    106.4 KB · Views: 627
I messed up, I missed this show. Does anyone know if it will air anytime this week?

I messed up, I missed this show. Does anyone know if it will air anytime this week?

Brian, it aired three times last week, with the last airing being yesterday. It will re-air again, in twelve weeks.

In December and January, we will be loading the episodes in their entirety, for viewing here n the site.

I`ll wait & veiw on here then. Been a hard weekend!!!! Thanks

OK, if you are like me, when you read turkey, you yawned. Unless that is, you are one of those guys stricken by the turkey bug each April/May.

This episode is very cool. I am probably biased, but I will put this episode up against any turkey episode that has ever been on TV. Wow, that is a pretty bold statement.

I posted the day-by-day account of what happened on this hunt. To see it brought to a completed episode is very interesting. It really changed my impression of turkey hunting. I had watched lots of turkey shows on TV, and they were all about the same. Not this one.

There is not enough time in a 22 minutes of footage to show how difficult this hunt was. We struggled with flaky birds and fickle weather for a week, before the fluke chance came together on the last morning.

Not sure how many turkey shows we will do, as most guys like big game hunting, as do sponsors. But, if we do ten more turkey episodes, I don't think we will ever top this one.

The episode airs on Outdoor Channel this Friday, September 4th at 11:30 am and 10:00 pm, and Sunday, September 6th, at 3:00 pm. All times being Mountain time.

Click here to read the Hunt Talk story of the Public Land Turkey Hunt.

I hope you enjoy this episode. Yes, there is a kill shot, and yes, there is lots of drama. The scenics are excellent, and when it is all finished, I am afraid we have discouraged anyone from ever wanting to come hunt public land turkeys in Montana.

If you like it, I hope you will email Outdoor Channel and tell them so. Click here to email Outdoor Channel.

I remember this show. I saw it before I first visited the website. I thought it very realistic. But all turkey hunts aren't as hard. Sometimes you just get lucky.
And most turkey hunting episodes get broadcast from Jan.-May because of the spring hunts. And, make no mistake about it, the spring hunts when they're gobbling their heads off are the best. The only thing I know that compares is bugling for elk.
But you're going to do a lot of scouting just to find birds, a lot of practicing calling to be able to talk turkey, and you're going to be outsmarted by them more times than not... before you can call yourself an accomplished turkey hunter. That's why I call myself an avid turkey hunter. It's a passion, but it ain't easy...

Since I have never seen Newburg on the tube, I stayed up late and watched it, in a cabin at Nelson Reservoir last friday night.
When I saw it was going to be about turkey hunting, my first reaction was "ohhhh nooo.. not another turkey hunting show....borrring" .
But being a friend and all, I thought, I'll do it anyway.
Well, it turned out to be pretty darned good. I liked it!
It was for sure, the most realistic turkey hunt I have ever seen filmed. It was more like turkey hunts I have been on than the usual fare.
I could certainly relate.
And...for a change from all other turkey hunting shows...it was really nice to hear no drawl... just a faint northern Minnesota / Finn accent, :rolleyes: but not bad. LOL

Good job, Randy.

Last edited:
The first turkey hunting show I have been able to sit through.
Well done Randy!
Afterwards, I told my wife, "I think I'll give turkey a shot next spring".
She told me, "no need to wait, still have leftovers in the fridge"

.it was really nice to hear no drawl... just a faint northern Minnesota / Finn accent, :rolleyes: but not bad. LOL

Hey, der now. Watcha talkin' about der, eh? :confused:

Hopefully that accent is faint, very faint.

Glad you liked it guys. It was the most mentally challenging hunt of the season. Not sure I could handle another one like that.

No worry... very faint....nothing like most of the guys from your neighborhood. LOL!
It takes a trained ear to hear it, Randy. (Or in my case a really good hearing aid) :D

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brutus56
Back