MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Entry level recurve

trb

I am looking to get into traditional archery, but want to spend a couple years practicing before I would take it into the field. My wingspan is 76" and my draw length has been measured at 30.5"-31" by my local pro shop.

I do not have a big budget as I am currently a full time graduate student. I have had a hard time finding anything in various forums' classified ads or Craig's list that would fit me or that is within my price range (ideally around $200 with some flexibility). I understand this might be a tough ask, but thought it would be worth a shot. Not looking for anything fancy, just something to start practicing.

Thank you!

Check out the Samick Sage takedown recurve. It is a pretty good bow for the price and is available with interchangeable limbs so you can move to heavier weights as your form develops.

I appreciate the advice! I have definitely looked at it, but my understanding is that it is only 62", and would result in stacking at my draw length. The Samick Journey, which is 64" doesn't seem to be available anymore. My understanding of all this is based entirely on reading online, so PLEASE feel free to correct me if I am wrong and/or you think the Sage would work for me.

Thanks!

My dad has a 31” draw and he shoots a 62” recurve and hasn’t ever said anything. He shot my 62 longbow a couple weeks ago and again didn’t say anything about stacking But if you wanted a longer bow 3 rivers archery has a couple longbows in your price range. I think a lot of recurves are 62 so if you could find an archery shop or Cabela’s or scheels that have the indoor ranges for people to try and shoot the bows, you might get a feel for it.

This is the 64" Samick Journey imported under a different name. It is exactly the same bow though and the limbs are interchangeable. You can also use Samick Sage limbs on the riser to make a shorter bow if you like.

Southwest Archery Spyder XL

ZBB and Greyman,

I very much appreciate the input, that might be exactly what I end up getting. I'd assume I should get some 35-40 lb limbs to practice form before I get heavier ones for hunting. Best of luck this fall!

Find a bow shop with vintage bows, you can pick up a good old bow with plenty of life left for ~$100 and still have lots of budget for arrows.

I have a 32" draw and shot a Sage for a few months before getting a couple custom bows. I am currently shooting a 62" longbow and get no stacking. If the bowyer does their job you shouldn't see stacking at your draw unless you get ridiculously short bows.

Reactions: trb

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back