Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

English cocker spaniel

brockel

Any of you hunting behind an English cocker spaniel? Wife has been thinking she wants another dog but I’m wanting to get a dog I can hunt behind. First the dog has to be good in the home and good with kids as it will be a pet first and hunting partner second. Personally I’d rather have a griffon or German wirehair but we are wanting to get something that’s smaller and little easier to take in the vehicle when we go places. Will be used for hunting pheasants, grouse, and huns. What are the pros and cons of the English cocker spaniel?

My uncle has a few and my buddy that I spend a week with in WI ruffed grouse hunting every year has one as well. All field bred cockers. They do great on ruffed grouse in WI but when we went to South Dakota a few years back for pheasants, they just couldn’t handle that bigger country and got out hunted by the GSP on the trip. They are great pets and when the days hunting is done, they are on the couch, curled up, snuggling and not running around the house like a neurotic GSP or other high energy dog.

Any of you hunting behind an English cocker spaniel? Wife has been thinking she wants another dog but I’m wanting to get a dog I can hunt behind. First the dog has to be good in the home and good with kids as it will be a pet first and hunting partner second. Personally I’d rather have a griffon or German wirehair but we are wanting to get something that’s smaller and little easier to take in the vehicle when we go places. Will be used for hunting pheasants, grouse, and huns. What are the pros and cons of the English cocker spaniel?
The biggest con is that they're smal and compact, but I believe a damn mastiff would be easier to handle.

Might be tough to find a breeder, FYI.

Field springer is pretty close in stature to a cocker. Mine is 44# and short like a cocker.

Cocker will do best in thick cover, like sloughs and cat tails. They will struggle with open Prairie grass land due to shorter legs.

Depends on the hunting you plan on doing CFF053B7-4B46-43DE-8E2A-98F3AD80572D.jpeg

Might be tough to find a breeder, FYI.

Field springer is pretty close in stature to a cocker. Mine is 44# and short like a cocker.

Cocker will do best in thick cover, like sloughs and cat tails. They will struggle with open Prairie grass land due to shorter legs.

Depends on the hunting you plan on doing View attachment 229257

I know of a couple breeders that aren’t to far of a drive. As far as the hunting I’ll be doing it won’t be all day long multiple days in a row. My bird hunting consists of going out for a morning Though that might change if I had a good dog

I know of a couple breeders that aren’t to far of a drive. As far as the hunting I’ll be doing it won’t be all day long multiple days in a row. My bird hunting consists of going out for a morning Though that might change if I had a good dog
Cocker will probably work very well for you then. They are fairly smart, and if you have a hunting blood line, they will pick up on hunting fairly easily.

And if it makes the wife happy to have a smaller dog in the house, sounds like a win win to me

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back