Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Enclosed trailers for dummies

2 years ago i started my trailer set up//i did some looking and ended up getting a steath aluminum frame v-nose. +3"roof, 7x14 tandem axle//it started out at 1490 lbs bare/with rear ramp and rv side door/i have since insulated it fully,added everything to make it a full rv,,heat,stove,water tank,hot water,fridge,propane,bathroom,1 single holding tank,diamond plate aluminum everywhere,,midwest racing aluminum cabinets,,12 volt tv,inverter,microwave,3 solar panels on top,ect,,it is quite the set up now and is only about 3500lbs now,,have a couch down 1 side and can still fit my grizzly atv in it.ill try to get some trailer build pic up soon,i would think this could easily be pulled by a tundra if you do a similar setup.

If you're pulling with a 4runner make sure you add a transmission inter-cooler. That fluids about to get extra warm climbing up those hills.

I am thinking about upgrading my out west setup. Currently I have been loading a single axle utility trailer and pulling quad and gear 4,000 miles round trip. It has worked out fine and I have gotten it everwhere I needed and some places I shouldn't have. I am always careful with prepping bearings, carrying spare wheels, hubs, and lighting and it has served me well. I’d like to move on to an enclosed trailer that can handle a quad and a little bit of gear and that I might be able to sleep in, in a pinch. I am tired of my stuff being exposed to prying eyes and the weather and dust. My main concerns are that I know exactly squat of the different brands, not sure what are practical or safety-minded must-haves for travelling cross country, or what is best for dealing with rutted washboard USFS/BLM roads. Also, my V6 toyota 4runner is WEAK over the mountain passes and not very good on fuel when loaded down, so I need something lightweight but strong. Looking for opinions on brands, axle and spring types, best door configuration. I know its a lot to ask, but start from my weak Toyota motor and go from there.
We were doing the same. I talked around before upgrading, went with a tandem axle, 14' v nose. Can get my freezer, 4 wheeler, job-box and all gear. Just me & my wife on most trips but we usually over pack. Not sure on manufacturers in your area, Titan is what I bought, used.
Light weight would be aluminum, they can get pricy. As far as rutted roads, good luck.
Maybe a trailer with a lift kit,lol.

Back