Enclosed Trailer Conversion

Yotkilr

Do you have the extra 6'' of height for a UTV? Ours was just the stock height and was very tight getting it in and out.

LVelk

Awesome trailer! We built a very similar set up years ago and love it. [video=youtube_share;IT_9f2OC4Wk]https://youtu.be/IT_9f2OC4Wk[/video]
Great video, I watched it when before I started this conversion (and copied some of your ideas).

WI-Hoyt

I went for it and pulled a 7’ x 14’ enclosed out for my first elk hunt ever. Tandem axel is the way to go on the rutted up mountain roads. I took my sweet time pulling it up the mountain to not tear off a fender or cut a sidewall. (ATTACH]87005[/ATTACH]x

Attachments

Last edited:

Schism

I’m exploring the idea of having a hard sided shelter for late(r) season hunts. I’ve mostly been researching various fish house models.

What are the pros and cons of converting an enclosed trailer vs using an Ice Castle or similar fish house?

danielboone

Thinking about doing something like that myself. Curious what it does to your gas mileage?

Addicting

Thinking about doing something like that myself. Curious what it does to your gas mileage?

I have a 14” v nose conversion. My F150 goes from 17 mpg to 10.5 average.

I use it locally but won’t be pulling it back to MT anytime soon. Or until I get a diesel truck.

danielboone

I have a 14” v nose conversion. My F150 goes from 17 mpg to 10.5 average.

I use it locally but won’t be pulling it back to MT anytime soon. Or until I get a diesel truck.
Ouch, it is a long drive from Texas to Montana so I may have to to go to plan B.

Addicting

Ouch, it is a long drive from Texas to Montana so I may have to to go to plan B.
I bought a Kodiak Flex bow tent on Craigslist and it worked out pretty well. We just had to have a separate tent set up for cooking. The money we saved in fuel paid for the tent and hotel rooms half way thru the trip.

danielboone

Curious how long it takes to set those up and if they work if you have a bed cover. It is a 3 day drive for me and I want to be able to pull over and sleep when I get tired. Other option of course is a hard shell topper.

LVelk

A couple things that are big positives for the enclosed that i’ve learned over the last couple seasons: no setup time for sleeping on the out of state long trips (vegas-MT); add a Big buddy heater and single digit/sub zero temps are no problem; add a generator and it feels like glamping tv, microwave, freezer, fridge, etc; customizable to your liking (maybe a negative, i’m constantly adding stuff or tweaking mine).

The tent / jumping jack type trailers would be nice for ease of manuevering in tight mountain roads.